Jazz-Institut Darmstadt - Europe's...

Very cool indeed. :tup One of the nice things about Germany has always been the public sponsorship of the arts and appreciation of music, in all its forms. From the UK we just get a glimse of this, via the excellent TV jazz broadcasts which are regularly put out by German-speaking countries over the satellite channels. I know that taxation is high in Germany (isn't it everywhere right across this continent, though ;) ) but if my tax dollars were going towards this I'd feel that there was at least some payback.

It would be nice to check this place out in person and the fine 'baroque' building that houses the collection is an eye-opener in itself. 'Respect' to the cultured citizens of Darmstadt !

I wonder if by chance they do a subscription Mosaic lending-library? :g

Edited by sidewinder

I thought about spending a couple of days in Darmstadt to check out this place.

Yesterday I had them send me a complete list of Joachim Ernst Berendt's "Jazz gehört und gesehen" TV series. It was aired between from 1955-1974 and has footage of Roland Kirk (1961), Miles Davis Sextet (1960), Thelonious Monk Quartet (1963), Coltrane Quintet (1962), Sun Ra at Berlin Jazz Festival 1970 etc.

If there's interest, I can post this list (German TV provided me with copies of some of this footage and I plan to order more from them. Cost was about EUR 25 per 30 minutes cassette a couple of years ago).

One of the nice things about Germany has always been the public sponsorship of the arts and appreciation of music, in all its forms. From the UK we just get a glimse of this, via the excellent TV jazz broadcasts which are regularly put out by German-speaking countries over the satellite channels. I know that taxation is high in Germany (isn't it everywhere right across this continent, though  ;) ) but if my tax dollars were going towards this I'd feel that there was at least some payback.

You are probably referring to the jazz shows on 3Sat on Friday and Saturday nights, which are broadcasting concerts from recent german festivals. Those shows are unique on german TV, only some regional stations also occasionly have jazz but national TV stations never.

And the price germans pay for public TV and radio is very high indeed: 16.15 Euro per month. It is not financed from the state budget but from a specific TV/radio tax that every owner of a TV set or radio has to pay (and if you declare not to own a TV set you get spied on by the GEZ :ph34r:)

Edited by Claude