Jackie Paris

jazzkrow

The Impulse was out years ago in an lp facimile reissue from Japan, a gorgeous remastering in beautiful packaging. Probably going to be hard to find. . . ebay?

An album is available on iTunes via the Verve Vault. Not bad album.

Edited by jazzbo

I think his Gershwin album just got reissued for a reasonable price. If you can find the 1950s SKYLARK, that's a good one as well.

Here's an ancient Night Lights show I devoted to Paris (the second one I ever taped, so apologies for raw/semi-pro delivery and/or narrative flow). Paris had just passed away not long before I recorded it:

Charlie Parker's Favorite Singer: Jackie Paris

A later album is available on the Audiophile label. Never heard that one, may be quite good.

It is. 'Nobody Else But Me' is my favorite album of his. The voice kept getting better and was constantly being used as an instrument.

Splendid backing by Jim McNeely, Mike Richmond and Keith Copeland.

In 2009, in France, the cd "The Jackie Paris album - SKYLARK" from Bunswick (1954) has be released in a beautifull digiback with the songs :

1. Skylark

2. Only Yesterday

3. If Love Is Good To Me

4. I’m Through With Love

5. A Cottage For Sale

6. More Than You Know

7. Idle Gossip

8. You’re Mine You

9. I Had A Talk With A Daisy

10. We’ll Be Together Again

11. Who Can I Turn To

12. Detour Ahead

Saw a great documentary last night on singer, Jackie Paris.

His voice was strong to the end of his career.

Any leads on his recordings-especially the Impulse issue?

Hi Jeff!

Is the documentary you saw ''Tis Autumn'? Have heard only but good things about it.

It is available on this recently released CD/DVD

7640140290072.jpg

The accompanying CD is the Brunswick 'Skylark'

Not a bad deal for €19 at Fnac.fr

Saw a great documentary last night on singer, Jackie Paris. His voice was strong to the end of his career.

Like the Nica documentary, in my view this is another documentary that overemphasizes the documenter's discovery of/fascination with their subject. They can't quite seem to keep themselves out of the limelight. The "'Tis Autumn" producer is also one who thinks he doesn't have to pay the performers, including yours truly.

In the segments filmed at the Jazz Standard, Jackie performed amazingly considering how much he was suffering, in really tremendous pain. There are a couple of additional tunes on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSwZHDrigE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xY7ZV_G6C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRkAkagTFs

The Jackie Paris Sound is one of my favorites!

Here's the tarcklisting (from Jackie Paris his homepage)

We Three, It’s Only A Paper Moon, This Is My Night To Dream, Someone’s Rocking My Dreamboat.

(JACKIE PARIS, vocal; JOE BENJAMIN, bass; BARRY GALBRAITH, guitar; ED SHAUGHNESSY, drums. Recorded in New York, November 13th, 1957

I’ll Get By, ON A Slow Boat To China, You’re Getting To Be a Habit With Me, Until The Real Thing Comes Along

(JACKIE PARIS, vocal; WENDELL MARSHALL, bass; BARRY GALBRAITH, guitar; BILLCLARK, drums. Recorded February 13th, 1958.)

This Year’s Kisses, I’ve Got A Pocket Full Of Dreams, It’s A Pity To Say Goodnight, It Could Happen To You.

(JACKIE PARIS, vocal; HANK JONES piano; JOE BENJAMIN, bass; BARRY GALBRAITH, guitar; ED SHAUGNESSY, drums; EDDIE WASSERMAN, tenor. Recorded February 25th, 1958

"Jackie believes Roy Haynes was the drummer on these dates, even though Ed Shaughnessy is listed."

Btw I'm also sure that it isn't Hank Jones who gets credits, but have to check that first.

Has anyone an idea about his lp with Anne Marie Moss (Live at the Maisonette?

j.