Origins of Bop Tunes:

medjuck

I know Ornithology is based on the changes to How High the Moon and Anthropology (like many others) on I Got Rhythm, but what's the bop tune (or tunes) based on Honeysuckle Rose ? Is there a listing of all these somewhere?

(I ask because I've been listening to an Ellington live date from the '50s and in the middle of Honeysuckle Rose the band plays a chorus of a familiar bop tune I can't remember the name of.)

I know Ornithology is based on the changes to How High the Moon and Anthropology (like many others) on I Got Rhythm, but what's the bop tune (or tunes) based on Honeysuckle Rose ? Is there a listing of all these somewhere?

(I ask because I've been listening to an Ellington live date from the '50s and in the middle of Honeysuckle Rose the band plays a chorus of a familiar bop tune I can't remember the name of.)

Great topic, Joe--I'm working on a Night Lights show somewhat similar to this. For starters, "Donna Lee" is based on "Indiana." "Ko-Ko" is based on "Cherokee," correct?

Great topic, Joe--I'm working on a Night Lights show somewhat similar to this. For starters, "Donna Lee" is based on "Indiana." "Ko-Ko" is based on "Cherokee," correct?

From another thread.....

Donna Lee (Back Home in Indiana)

Ornithology (How High the Moon)

Groovin' High (Whispering)

Half Nelson (Ladybird)

Countdown (Tune Up)

Prince Albert (All the Things You Are)

Chick's Tune (You Stepped Out of a Dream)

Hot House (What is this Thing Called Love)

Fried Bananas (It Could Happen To You)

Quicksilver (Lover come Back to Me)

KoKo (Cherokee)

.....and there are many more. There are also many Tristano tunes that are based on standard chord progressions.

It's fun to write tunes on other tunes - for years I tried to write something decent on Body and Soul changes, and it's real hard, though I did manage - I also recorded something with Rudd about 15 years ago based on Tea For Two - though one reviewer thought the head was "too fussy" (he may have been right). I also had an interesting encounter with Johnny Green, by letter, discussing a tune I was writing based on the changes to Out of Nowhere (he wasn't happy that I wanted composer credit).

I also, on my last CD, on one tune, used the bridge to I Want a Little Girl, which I've always liked (chords are I-IV-VI-II) -

Edited by AllenLowe