Illinois Jacquet Mosaic

Alfred

It seems the Illinois was in Last Chance for-freaking-ever.

I considered purchasing (and not purchasing) the box for the duration. I finally decided to not purchase. I don't know much about Illinois nor do I have an interest in the set. I decided I'd not be purchasing the set simply because it had the Mosaic label on the box.

Edited by wesbed

Hey, c'mon guys, gotta throw in a good word for this one!

I LOVE IT!

(and not only in small doses! Many beautiful ballads, even more blues, the dates with Emmett Berry, the big band sides, the RCA stuff on disc 4... so much good music!)

ubu

Shaddup! :P

You're going to make me wish I hadn't missed the set.

This was a set that I really wanted before I got it.

Unfortunately, I expected it to be different than it was.

I really dug Jacquet's collaboration with Ben Webster on THE KID AND THE BRUTE. I guess I expected the Mosaic set to be more of the same.

It wasn't.

It took time to grow on me. Now I dig it.

But if I would have missed out on getting it, I probably wouldn't lose any sleep.

Even though much of this one is in an 'R&B' type of groove, I really like it. Heck, it even has some nice early JJ Johnson on it. That alone steals it for me ! :)

Must have had my set for 2-3 years now. It was one of the last vinyl copies, picked up just as the vinyl set was going OOP on the old BNBB.

I've always liked hardbop. I like "out there." I was surprised to find I love this set. This set launched me on a whole new acquisition mission that introduced me to Arnett Cobb, Earl Bostic and the Texas tenors. That often dirty, raspy tone just gets me. And when Leo Parker starts laying down those bassy bombs, MAN! People who missed this one and want to reconsider might still be able to pick it up cheap. Normally the first few months on ebay don't ask too dramatic a hike in price. I won't be selling mine. :D