Does Anyone Know This Album?

collioure_bee

Sorry, new to this board and not sure if this is in the correct forum or not.

Years ago my dad leant me a cassette tape (yes it was that long ago)of a jazz comedy send up. It was made like a compilation album of various artists under a title that spelt out J.U.N.K. (Jazz something or another). It featured mickey takes and had artists called The Loneliest Plunk etc The Dave Brubeck track had a five minute spoken intro explaining the intracies of the track and then lasted about twenty seconds musically. It was very funny and yours truly lost it. I would love to be able to replace it for him somehow and years of searching have come up fruitless.

So it's down to the jazz experts. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

This site suggests that Maynard Ferguson is on it: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mferguson/Grants.html

Sorry, new to this board and not sure if this is in the correct forum or not.

Years ago my dad leant me a cassette tape (yes it was that long ago)of a jazz comedy send up. It was made like a compilation album of various artists under a title that spelt out J.U.N.K. (Jazz something or another). It featured mickey takes and had artists called The Loneliest Plunk etc The Dave Brubeck track had a five minute spoken intro explaining the intracies of the track and then lasted about twenty seconds musically. It was very funny and yours truly lost it. I would love to be able to replace it for him somehow and years of searching have come up fruitless.

So it's down to the jazz experts. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, here and elsewhere, but given that it's a recording on the Chicago-based Argo label, and further that it's unlikely that any big-name musicians of the time would have participated in such a jape (which surely was a low-budget affair -- a jazz comedy record, after all, and on Argo to boot), I believe that what I vaguely recall reading somewhere is the case: All the musicians involved were local Chicago guys whose names would ring a bell only if one were familiar with the Chicago scene of that time. Probably also they were jazz guys who did a good deal of studio work (Chicago was a big radio and TV jingle-industry center back then and for a good while thereafter), because the various musical "satires" involved, however broad and dumb they might be (haven't heard the record myself), would have called for a fair degree of game-like flexibility, both in terms of skills and temperament.

That's all I could find from a short search. I've never heard it but remember seeing it at least once and passing on it. Based on your description, I'd probably do the same the next time.

This site suggests that Maynard Ferguson is on it: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/mferguson/Grants.html

I came across that site, too, and think it's pretty ridiculous. The "Morris Ferguson" track involves speeding up a tape, Chipmunks fashion.

Jack Tracy probably was in charge and Larry's comment is probably on the mark. Jack and I were regularly in contact a while back. I don't think he's in great shape since he's not responded to contacts for a while. And so it goes......

Jack still posts on the Jazz West Coast board from time to time (within the last few weeks, IIRC), seems to be quite alert, certainly has retained his prickly sense of humor.