Upcoming Bunny Berigan bio

There has already been a highly readable Bunny Berigan biography.

The Robert Dupuis 'Bunny Berigan, Elusive Legend of Jazz' published in 1993.

It looked like this when it came out

dupuis2.gif

and looks like this by now...

51NEBDXG4NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have not seen anything about the new book on this Bunny Berigan site.

No idea. Bozy White had been working for decades on a Bunny Berigan biodiscography. The document was supposedly nearing completion when he was murdered by a tenant in his home. I wonder about the status of White's research and document and whether Zirpolo had access to it. Anyone know? I let my IAJRC membership lapse a few years ago and hadn't seen the information about the forthcoming book.

Thanks Brownie. I remembered the thread and was about to look for it.

Still wondering about what happened to his manuscript. I remember hearing that some folks associated with the IAJRC may have had possession of it but hadn't heard anything about it for a few years.

This thread was posted when news of Bozy White's assassination was announced.

No idea. Bozy White had been working for decades on a Bunny Berigan biodiscography. The document was supposedly nearing completion when he was murdered by a tenant in his home. I wonder about the status of White's research and document and whether Zirpolo had access to it. Anyone know? I let my IAJRC membership lapse a few years ago and hadn't seen the information about the forthcoming book.

You might ask your question here:

http://www.bigband-era.com/

Check the forum under "Big Band Talk" (you will have to sign up, though).

Mike Zirpolo used to be quite present on that forum though I do not know if this is still the case (I've never bothered to dig out my password or obtain a new one to re-access the forum ever since I changed my computer over a year ago as that forum had gone rather stale for my taste; no matter how much you like swing music you can take only so much undifferentiated nostalgia from those who witnessed that time yet - except for a few exceptions such as Mike Zirpolo - never cared to broaden their vision beyond their teen days).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

41YlD02RWIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Reviews (from Mr. Trumpet website):

The following are excerpts of reviews of Mr. Trumpet:

From the Big Band Library website, November, 2011, by Christopher Popa:

"There have been intelligent articles, commentary, books, and record liner notes about Bunny Berigan in the past, but this new, panoramic biography by Michael P. Zirpolo...easily surpasses any previous efforts, and not simply because of its length. By seamlessly threading together so many facts, quotes, fragments, reasoned thoughts and opinions, it presents the fullest, truest picture of Berigan that can likely ever be."

"By piecing together many bits of information, ...(Zirpolo) was able to come to a deep understanding of Berigan. Throughout the 550 pages and 25 chapters, (he) provides, in an interesting narrative, all the necessary facts, and gives the work a proper and thorough context--something that has often been lacking in other book-length writings about the big bands. While as knowledgeable a swing aficionado as they come, he retains the objectivity needed to write the definitive biography of Berigan, and tells his story with understanding, compassion, and respect."

"(Zirpolo) recognized the scope of Berigan's talents, the importance of his artistic achievements, and his standing in the big band business way beyond the classic recording of 'I Can't Get Started.' Significantly, he explains or corrects many heretofore misunderstood events in Berigan's life... including how Berigan became an alcoholic, why his marriage was unsuccessful, the nature of his friendship with Tommy Dorsey, and his relationship with Music Corporation of America (MCA)."

"From cover to cover, Zirpolo's book has raised the jazz scholarship bar, and deserves a spot on the bookshelf along such pioneering and esteemed writers as Walter C. Allen, Whitney Balliett, John Chilton, D. Russell Connor, Stanley Dance, Chip Deffaa, Charles Delauney, Leonard Feather, John Flower, Edward F. Polic, Brian Rust, Gunther Schuller, Chris Sheridan, George T. Simon (whom, by the way, Zirpolo takes issue with for Simon's sometimes less-than-enthusiastic reviews of Berigan's talents), Richard M. Sudhalter, and Leo Walker."

"Big Band Library rating: supremely excellent."

The entire review written by Christopher Popa can be seen at: bigbandlibrary.com Christopher Popa is a swing era expert and historian based in Chicago.

From a review written by Berigan fan and expert, Alvin I. Apfelberg, of Las Vegas, Nevada:

"I have just finished reading the biography of Bunny Berigan written by Michael P. Zirpolo. It is a masterwork of research and writing. Apart from the analysis of Berigan's life and his music, which is tremendous, 'Mr. Trumpet' is a chronicle of the swing era. The endnotes/footnotes in this book are remarkable because they really help the reader understand the context of Berigan's life. They alone would be worth the cost of the book. 'Mr. Trumpet' is a must-read for any person interested in fun in swingtime."

Edited by EKE BBB

• 4 weeks later...