We have a name for our new kitty -- Nikita!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the winner is....?

Well, we still haven't come up with the definitive name yet (we've only had the CAT at home less than 36 hours).

In the end, the name could turn out to be something already suggested, or something entirely unknown as of this point.

I think we'll have a name by the end of the week, probably.

I've been informed that naming the cat after Khrushchev is ill advised. :ph34r:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Do a little research, find out what Sasha Grey does for a living, share it with your wife and I bet she'll swear off that name forever.

Oh my. :blush:

Good thing my wife wasn't that sold on 'Sasha' either.

'Tasha' is just plain easier to say, since the 't' is an explosive consonant, as opposed to 's' (a sibilant). Two sibilants in the same name (since the 'sh' is also one) is one too many.

Gotta be Nica!

Hmmm..... Nica... I really like that!! :)

Edit: I'll be gosh darn, I never had any idea who the "Nica" was in "Nica's dream". Wiki: Pannonica de Koenigswarter. Learn something new every day.

I think we have a winner!! Hope my wife likes it too (it's really 'her' cat, so she gets the naming rights. :g )

Edit: I just e-mailed her, only mentioning the name, without any explanation. Wanted to get her honest opinion on the basis of the sound of the name alone. If she's generally positive about it (if not quite "wildly enthusiastic"), then I think the back-story will sell her. Fingers-crossed.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If not, there's always Bentley...

Gotta be Nica!

Hmmm..... Nica... I really like that!! :)

Edit: I'll be gosh darn, I never had any idea who the "Nica" in "Nica's dream" was. Wiki: Pannonica de Koenigswarter. Learn something new every day.

I think we have a winner!! Hope my wife likes it too (it's really 'her' cat.)

Edit: I just e-mailed her, only mentioning the name, without any explanation. Wanted to get her honest opinion on the basis of the sound of the name alone. If she's generally positive about it (if not quite "wildly enthusiastic"), then I think the back-story will sell her. Fingers-crossed.

OK, we have a winner.

My wife likes Nikita best of all. She liked Nica (2nd best), and Tasha (or Natasha) 3rd best.

BTW, I found the origins and meaning of Nikita on-line, and discovered that Nika (with a 'k', not a 'c' - but pronounced the same way, as in "Nica's Dream") is a closely related name to Nikita (source and source). And at least one claims "Nika" is used as a name for Russian pets, as a shortened or 'diminutive' form of "Nikita". (source: "Nika (Russian pet form) and Nikki (Dutch and English pet form) are variants of Nikita.")

So she might get called 'Nika' from time to time as well, as a nickname.