2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the entire fucking roster? Even when they get a good start, they get their asses beat. Three in a row, plummeting like a rock out of contention. I said they'd be lucky to be 5 games back by the time July is over. I say now the deficit will be ten games.

You cannot fucking hope to compete when you lose so many pivotal players, but most of all Pedroia and Martinez. This "league leading offense" has averaged 3.82 runs per game since Pedroia was disabled (I'm not counting the 14 run outburst in Toronto, but even with that outlier, the average is just over 4 and way off the league leading pace they had with something vaguely resembling the lineup they anticipated.

They are fucking done.

Hey, Dan, They're not through yet, Youk came up big in the clutch...

...and yet again. Nice win for your Bosox, Dan--congrats. If they can stay 4-5 games back of NY and TB going into August, they'll be very much in contention, especially as some of the regulars start returning to the lineup.

Very nice game to watch tonight, felt just a little bit bad for Lee though, I would have walked Youk to get to Beltre in that situation. And I agree with Ghosty, the Red Sox are a long way from being DONE! (sorry Dan, I just couldn't resist :D )

Buster Posey with his 8th bomb of the month. Stay hot kid.

Staying in the hunt quite nicely, and darn good starters 1 thru 4. But out of respect for the powerful reverse jinx, your next Giant post should be more negative. ;)

Posey has been even better than advertised. I still think if the Giants can just squeeze into the playoffs they have a chance to go all the way, that staff is that good, and in any series, Lincecum, Zito, and Cain can win four games against any team in the NL. Now, if the Giants could only get another bat in the lineup, maybe Derek Lee from the Cubs, or someone with some pop in the bat, they would be vastly improved, thought the "team chemistry" seems to be very good for the Giants, but I tend to think that's overrated in baseball.

Buster Posey with his 8th bomb of the month. Stay hot kid.

Staying in the hunt quite nicely, and darn good starters 1 thru 4. But out of respect for the powerful reverse jinx, your next Giant post should be more negative. ;)

I tried that with the A's and it didn't work.

As for the hitting there has been a major improvement since having Posey, Burrell with Uribe and Torrez contributing and and not having Bengie, Rowand and Renteria in there. If Panda comes back I think they may not need to make any moves.

A rough start by Andy Pettitte, or is this the beginning of his inevitable regression toward the mean? 4 hits and 3 ERs in just 1/3 of an inning so far, and A-Rod just saved another hit and run with a stab of a hot liner from Gabe Kapler.

By "regression to the mean" I of course refer to Pettitte's ridiculous BABIP stats this year, which are undoubtedly the cause of his sub 3.00 ERA. Heading into the game he had allowed a .268 BABIP, the lowest of his career, and a level that he has only come close to one time in Houston against weaker lineups. All of his other stats are right where you'd expect them to be - HR rate, BB rate, SO rate. Yet his BABIP is freakishly low - he's had only one AL season in his career where he achieved a sub .300 BABIP, and that was at .297.

My quick and dirty calculation of his career BABIP - weighting each AL season equally - shows a .317 career rate. I'm not smart enough to calculate how many more hits that might be over the rest of the season, but if Pettitte's luck is running out, I'd expect his ERA and general results to start trending upward.

May this only be the start ... :g

I still think if the Giants can just squeeze into the playoffs they have a chance to go all the way, that staff is that good, and in any series, Lincecum, Zito, and Cain can win four games against any team in the NL.

I recall you liking their chances back in the spring. I think it's worth mentioning Sánchez as well (who pitches today after a rough outing before the All-Star game) since as much as old fogies (anyone > 40) would like to see 3 man staffs in the playoffs, it isn't always possible with these modern day pitchers. So having a 4th (and a lefty!) who can hold his own is all the better. If Sánchez can keep up the good work from the 1st half of the season and the bats get going, they'll have the delightful "problem" of having to figure out the best rotation order for the playoffs.

Four game sweep of the Tigers by the Indians! Jeanmar Gomez gives up only a pair of unearned runs over 7 innings in his ML debut (...still headed back to AAA tonight), and Jhonny Peralta hits an inside-the-park homer. Tribe now only 16 games under .500, and a scant 1.5 games behind KC for fourth place in the AL Central. :)

Early word is Pettitte will be out 4-5 weeks with a Grade 1 (minor tear) groin strain. Too bad that Cliff Lee trade didn't work out--CL sure would've come in handy about right now. Mitre's being tapped as the initial replacement, which isn't making Pinstripe Alley very happy; they wanted Nova. If nothing else, at least NY overcame Pettitte's early departure and beat up on Price today. But Pettitte's probably been our most reliable starter, after CC; Hughes, Javy, and certainly AJ much less so. (Well, AJ was reliably bad throughout all of June, and after two good starts in a row nearly went all Kevin Brown on us yesterday.) So I think the AL East just got even more competitive.

Four game sweep of the Tigers by the Indians! Jeanmar Gomez gives up only a pair of unearned runs over 7 innings in his ML debut (...still headed back to AAA tonight), and Jhonny Peralta hits an inside-the-park homer. Tribe now only 16 games under .500, and a scant 1.5 games behind KC for fourth place in the AL Central. :)

Boy, I'll bet the White Sox are lovin' the Indians right now--sure kept Detroit off their backs, given that they've dropped three in a row. The AL Central could end up being even more of a barnburner than the AL East come late September.

Edited by ghost of miles

Today was a perfect example of why the Red Sox are FINITO, FINISHED, KAPUT, DONE - instead of building on yesterday's surprising comeback, they still end up losing three of four to Texas when the offense continues to suck donkey dicks and their ace has a rare bad game.

Another reason why they are FINITO, FINISHED, KAPUT, DONE - Theo says that the goal every year is 95 wins and bases that on a presumption that it will be enough to qualify for the playoffs.

Well, I did some calculating before today's game, and I figured that with 71 games left, they'd have to win at a .607 clip the rest of the way - but every loss they rack up, like this one, before anyone gets healthy and returns to action, is yet another win they've got to make up as time keeps slipping away. Let's presume they go 3-7 on this west coast trip and return to Fenway at 55-47. That leaves 60 games to play, and they'd need to win 40 of them. Pedroia and Martinez will still be at least a week away from returning, and they'd have to start and sustain .667 ball for two full months.

Yeah fucking right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And to top it off: 95 wins won't be enough to make the playoffs anyway! Realistically, 97 might get you to a one-game playoff.

This season was fucked away the moment Pedroia's bat hit the ball in San Francisco, and that was only reinforced a few days later when the ball collided with V-Mart's thumb.

Color me tickled pink though that Petttitte has gone down with his boo-boo in the groinal region. Now there's a chance that Tampa will overtake the MFY, hopefully leaving the defending champions to face Cliff Lee twice in a short series without the home field advantage. :lol:

Seems to me Pettitte's injury makes it even more likely that the Yankees will seek pitching help at the major league level. Apparently, teams have soured on Roy Oswalt for reasons having to do with the $16 million he's owed for his option year. If he's off the table, I'm not sure who that leaves, but with the way Burnett is pitching and with Vazquez still operating on a now you see me, now you don't basis, I don't see how you survive at least a month without Pettitte and not look for help. No way do you get by with Sergio Mitre. Problem is, the Yanks could use another bat, but if you spend your chits on pitching, whatever offensive needs they have go wanting.

Edited by Dave James

Seems to me Pettitte's injury makes it even more likely that the Yankees will seek pitching help at the major league level. Apparently, teams have soured on Roy Oswalt for reasons having to do with the $16 million he's owed for his option year. If he's off the table, I'm not sure who that leaves, but with the way Burnett is pitching and with Vazquez still operating on a now you me, now you don't basis, I don't see how you survive at least a month without Pettitte and not look for help. No way do you get by with Sergio Mitre. Problem is, the Yanks could use another bat, but if you spend your chits on pitching, whatever offensive needs they have go wanting.

There's also the problem of the "Hughes Rules" taking effect, though I have to wonder if they'll be modified somewhat now. Given the continuing bullpen problems as well (though they did decently enough today, I guess), I definitely think pitching takes a priority over hitting when it comes to trades. And I think our offense is going to be fine, actually, barring an outbreak of injuries.

Edited by ghost of miles

There's one potential upside to Andy's being out of commission for a month--he'll be well-rested for the stretch drive and playoffs when he comes back. At age 37, it might not be so bad to miss several weeks in late July/early August.

Also, one of the bloggers over at PA makes the following point:

First of all, nobody needs to panic. The Yankees rotation has been a strength this season, and even without Pettitte temporarily, they're still able to send out three solid starting pitchers plus AJ Burnett (they won the World Series last year with just two plus Burnett). The schedule from now until the end of August is also far from the toughest stretch they've had - 17 games against the Indians, A's, Mariners, and Royals, as well as a bunch of games against good, but flawed, teams like the Blue Jays, Tigers, and White Sox.

I don't put Javy and Phil Hughes quite as quickly in the "solid" category as he does, but he's right about the schedule--if we're going to lose one of our aces temporarily, this is one of the better times for it to happen.

This is also interesting (and relevant to Dan's observations the other day regarding Pettitte's performance in 2010 so far):

First half performances: the lucky, the unlucky and Joba

Edited by ghost of miles