2010 MLB Season

Breaking down the current Red Sox team by the Bill Simmons:

On Tuesday night in Anaheim, with a teetering Red Sox season threatening to crumble, J.D. Drew saved Boston fans from another episode of "Papelbon, P.U." by walloping a timely double. The ball bounced off the right-field wall toward Bobby Abreu, who reacted to the carom like a ghost was clubbing him from behind with a two-by-four. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Didn't we create the DH position for guys like Abreu? I'm almost positive we did.) Two runs scored, Boston's eighth-inning lead expanded to three and when the TV crew cut to the obligatory shot of Drew pumping his fist at second base ...

Oh, wait ...

I forgot. J.D. Drew never does things like that.

Click here for the rest of the story.

Thanks for posting that, Matthew--interesting article. I was amused by this passage:

There isn't a single baseball star who could have gotten a 4 rating for switching teams, much less a 9 rating like LeBron did. Right now, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez are the only mainstream famous baseball players. That's the list. And they're a combined 71 years old. My goofy take on this: The narcissism, chest-pounding and me-first mentality of stars in other sports has, perhaps unfairly, made baseball players seem boring as hell. You respect The Code in baseball. You play the game. You don't show people up. You win respect by proving you're about the team. Just look at what happened to poor A-Rod in New York -- within eight years, they drummed out every interesting quality he had. It's like listening to a robot. I am just happy to be a Yankee. I just want to win. Please recharge my battery; I am running low.

Hell, even when George Steinbrenner died, the ensuing coverage reminded us of that gloriously crazy era in the '70s and '80s when players wrote tell-all books and ripped teammates, drunk managers fought drunk pitchers in hotel bars, players swapped wives, superstars made quotes like "I'm the straw that stirs the drink," owners derisively called their best player "Mr. May" and hired convicted felons to frame them, pitchers beaned guys just for sport, guys took 26-second home run trots, teams had bench-clearers five times per year and everything else that made baseball so much fun. Now, it's all about RESPECTING THE GAME, MAN! Which is fine. And noble. And a better example for my young son. But still, how can you stand out in 2010's Look At Me Society when you're competing with stuff like "Do you realize the Bengals have two wide receivers with their own VH1 reality shows?" and "Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade are now shopping their documentary about the 2010 free-agency period?" It's the Look At Me/Instant Gratification/Twitter/Snooki/Lady Gaga generation ... and poor baseball fits in about as well as Bud Selig at a Drake concert.

I think A-Rod's persona change is half-PR and half-genuine (I think he really has finally become a team player and found a real camaraderie with the Yankees, just in the past year and a half), but it's true that he's pretty sanded down these days. OTOH I can't stand the NBA or the NFL much these days precisely for the kind of personality atmosphere that this guy describes.

Poignant image at the end about throwing a ball against a wall and pretending to be Freddie Lynn in 1975... I did almost exactly the same thing that year.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeith and Patrick, how about the Tribe's hidden ace?

Andy Marte sets down the Yanks 1-2-3

Full clip of Marte K'ing Nick Swisher: Swisher K's against Marte

Six Indians pitchers walked a season-high 12 before infielder Andy Marte worked a perfect ninth. The crowd chanted, “Andy, Andy,” after he fanned Nick Swisher for the second out.

“I now have a new most embarrassing moment,” Swisher said. “I just have to wear it. I was looking for the breaking ball and he gassed me.”

That 9th inning was a gasser in general. Out of backup infielders, the Yanks put Marcus Thames at third base, resulting in the following hijinks:

Thames at third base :ph34r:

Not a bad stop, but that throw! :lol:

Edited by ghost of miles

Roy Oswalt vs. Mets (5-5, 3.68 ERA), Marlins (5-4, 3.72 ERA), Nationals (3-2, 3.52 ERA) ... and Braves (0-3, 7.58 ERA in 7 starts).

Great. Just what we needed.

If the Phillies would have kept Lee and faced the Yanks again in the WS, the Phillies would have home field advantage and two pitchers that KILL the Yanks available to pitch 4-5 games of a 7 game series.

Yep. That's pretty much what I've been saying since the day that boob traded Lee for 3 toilet flushes.

THIS JUST IN: Phillies fans are now as obnoxious as Red Sox and Yankee fans! :lol: :lol:

Roy Oswalt vs. Mets (5-5, 3.68 ERA), Marlins (5-4, 3.72 ERA), Nationals (3-2, 3.52 ERA) ... and Braves (0-3, 7.58 ERA in 7 starts).

If the Phillies would have kept Lee and faced the Yanks again in the WS, the Phillies would have home field advantage and two pitchers that KILL the Yanks available to pitch 4-5 games of a 7 game series.

Yep. That's pretty much what I've been saying since the day that boob traded Lee for 3 toilet flushes.

THIS JUST IN: Phillies fans are now as obnoxious as Red Sox and Yankee fans! :lol: :lol:

But this Phillie is sooooooo cute!

Well it seems way premature for this to be the sort of career-changing injury that brought Prior down. I'd have to assume this is some sort of minor inflammation and with all the money invested, the Nats are going to be cautious. But remember, its shoulders that end careers, elbow injuries can be a new lease on life after TJ surgery, but labrum tears are rarely overcome.

Would really be a shame if he burned out this quick but its way too early for that ...

Sports Illustrated weighs in on the Strasburg throwing motion issue after an interview with Don Cooper, the White Sox pitching coach:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/07/30/strasburg.trades/index.html?eref=sihp

Edited by Dave James

Skeith and Patrick, how about the Tribe's hidden ace?

Andy Marte sets down the Yanks 1-2-3

Full clip of Marte K'ing Nick Swisher: Swisher K's against Marte

Six Indians pitchers walked a season-high 12 before infielder Andy Marte worked a perfect ninth. The crowd chanted, “Andy, Andy,” after he fanned Nick Swisher for the second out.

“I now have a new most embarrassing moment,” Swisher said. “I just have to wear it. I was looking for the breaking ball and he gassed me.”

That 9th inning was a gasser in general. Out of backup infielders, the Yanks put Marcus Thames at third base, resulting in the following hijinks:

Thames at third base :ph34r:

Not a bad stop, but that throw! :lol:

Yeah Ghost,

It seemed that no one was having more fun during that game than BOTH of the benches, all the players were cracking up watching Marte. So the Tribe should always put in rookies or position players to pitch against the Yanks.

ESPN is reporting the the Yankees are close to a deal with the Astros for Lance Berkman. Sure hope if they get him he's old Lance and not new Lance. This is strictly a rental. No major Montero-like prospects are involved and New York will not pick up his option for next year. I still think they need bullpen help more than another bat, but what do I know.

Edited by Dave James

On the positive side there is a club option for 2011 and apparently there isn't even a buy-out on that. But why do you need a bat, and a bat that plays 1B? The obvious needs are in the bullpen, and maybe in the rotation though it sure looks like Pettitte will be back pretty soon. Berkman replacing Teixeira or taking over at DH takes ABs away from Posada (how's that four year contract looking now?) as well as reducing the opportunity for resting the old folks down the stretch by rotation them in and out of the DH slot.

Berkman's SLG is way down this year but playing in the little league stadium, I'm sure those numbers will go right back up.

Shocking splits for Berkman. .287 at home, .194 on the road. His OBP is still every high, and has gotten hot at just the right time. Like Dan said, playing in a bandbox and forever having runners on base, should work out fine.

He is still a pretty fair 1st baseman, so perhaps he and Tex will swap positions once a week or that Berkman will sit against lefties and someone else needing a day off will hit.

A sick part of me wanted to see the Yankees get Dunn, to see what he could do there! :blink:

Shocking splits for Berkman. .287 at home, .194 on the road. His OBP is still every high, and has gotten hot at just the right time. Like Dan said, playing in a bandbox and forever having runners on base, should work out fine.

He is still a pretty fair 1st baseman, so perhaps he and Tex will swap positions once a week or that Berkman will sit against lefties and someone else needing a day off will hit.

A sick part of me wanted to see the Yankees get Dunn, to see what he could do there! :blink:

Posada's road/home splits are pretty scary too. He's been a kitten away from Yankee Stadium. It's also reckless to be using one of 2 catchers on your roster as a DH, especially given his age. Lance is 34 but against righties still has some power. And old Lance is probably less of a health risk than (giggle) Nick Johnson. I haven't even checked if he's coming back or not, as if he is he's just going to get hurt again anyway.

Oswalt is done. 6 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (86 pitches, 54 strikes).

Thanks Ruben.

One start makes a pitcher, and a trade it's true! :P

Cliff Lee sucked in his first start for Texas.

How many runs have the Phils driven in against a guy with a over 5 ERA???

Heh, of course, the braves were shut out the day Strausburg couldn't come in...Nats are not a bad team...well, til they trade everyone away not named Zimmerman or Strausburg

Edited by BERIGAN

Way to come up clutch ARod -- loser :tdown

Um--did you happen to watch the 2009 postseason, by any chance? :rolleyes:

Against the Twins

Against the Angels

Against the Phillies

Two good things for NY tonight--Hughes pitched really well, outside of the homer given up to Joyce, and Joba pitched like a demon. Tough one to lose, though.

Whatever one thinks of fans of various teams, they're all trumped in obnoxiousness by Yankee haters--quite easily.

Edited by ghost of miles

Way to come up clutch ARod -- loser :tdown

Um--did you happen to watch the 2009 postseason, by any chance? :rolleyes:

Against the Twins

Against the Angels

Against the Phillies

Two good things for NY tonight--Hughes pitched really well, outside of the homer given up to Joyce, and Joba pitched like a demon. Tough one to lose, though.

Whatever one thinks of fans of various teams, they're all trumped in obnoxiousness by Yankee haters--quite easily.

Ghosty, I don't hate the Yankees, I despise them. :g I'll try to keep my Yankee hatred a little more in control... :w

And by the way, who are we really kidding?

The fans of the 27 time world champions are the most obnoxious by a factor of at least 10. The reason being that they think it makes them winners, too, and they have a breathtaking sense of entitlement, piled on top of the fact that most of them are New Yorkers who have an arrogance all their own.