Lost, the final Season

I'm hoping for a rewarding ending as well but I'm left with some doubts when I saw that whole light in the cave keeping the world alive thing.

Indeed, it was like some rejected Gene Roddenberry yarn from Star Trek first season.

I think the writers have dug themselves in over their heads with just too many twists, unexplained and aborted threads and generally trying to be too obscure for their own good. The task is too much for them. The bench mark for a seminal series finale is still Six Feet Under and there's no way they'll match that.

The bench mark for a seminal series finale is still Six Feet Under and there's no way they'll match that.

Now that was excellent. Big "wow" factor. Touching. And the whole thing unfolded at a perfect pace. Pretty damn riveting.

The last thing you want to see in a series finale is Seinfeld sitting in a jail cell.

I think Jacob & MiB now come across as simpler characters than before. Hopefully it still sets up a rewarding ending!

Well, I think they are still very important characters to how the rest of the story will play out...after all, it is Jacob's "game" that the candidates are trying to survive...and the rules of the game keep MIB from killing them himself. So, they are still involved.

The "light in the waterfall", is really just a different view of something we've been seeing since Ben first moved the island with the wheel. We always knew there were "pockets of energy" all over the island...and according to the series, elsewhere on Earth...but this is the only one that seems to control life/death (Rose's cancer being cured, Locke can walk, etc.).

There is still "something else", some other entity on the island that has yet to be revealed to us...plus we still haven't seen whatever original population was on the island, so there is still farther back to go. Whether they can get there...who knows.

But I know one thing, go back and watch season 1 and all this MIB/Jacob stuff was setup in that season even though we didn't know who they were yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely don't feel like a sucker! Enjoyed the six year ride.

I wasn't totally satisfied with the overall "explanation" but I thought the final episode was well directed, filmed and acted, and pretty well-written. I think that the book coming out in a few months will be appreciated and necessary for a certain type of fan. After a bit of reflection, I'd say the producers took a wise path to the conclusion. Nothing they could have done was going to satisfy everyone. Their choice to fulfill the character journeys (in a sense, not sure that's the best phrase) was satisfying for me.

I got a lot out of the series. I really enjoyed a lot of the unusual story-telling and the unraveling of the life history of the characters. I suspect, and I think the producers have shown this season, that this was the real meat of the series, and the island mystery and mythology was the bun and condiments.

Successful television as far as I'm concerned. Glad I had the experience, glad I have the Blu-Rays, and also glad it ended now.

I've been very cynical about the wrap-up until now, but I have to admit that I found the finale very rewarding - a number of emotional high points, and an interesting and unexpected closing. Sure, not all the questions were answered, but I had a good feeling of satisfaction once it was over.

I'm eating my hat. :unsure:

I think it was one of the most graceful and beautiful endings I've seen on Television...of course the series never felt like a TV show, it felt like life.

Too many great moments to even count during that episode, it was a huge emotional release that I think the audience needed as much as the characters did. They needed to let go, we need to let go. A show that played by it's own rules during the entire run and ended with the same integrity it began with.

That crane shot showing Vincent laying beside Jack as he died, that about wiped me out. The "remembrance" between Sawyer & Juliette was another very intense scene.

I can't wait for this to come out on blu ray so I can watch the entire Season all the way through with no commercials. I think the "flash-sideways" segments will play even better now that we know the context. Kind of like going back and watching season 5 "knowing" that Locke is the Smoke Monster, it gives a totally different spin to his scenes.

I've never been a big fan of mini-series or episodic television, I've always been a movie guy. But LOST really impressed me, took me on a journey I didn't think TV could take me to.

Edited by Shawn

Finally had a chance to watch it last night. Agreed with everything here. How about that shot of Jack and Locke running at each other like rams on the cliffside?! Jack leaping into the air behind a fist, Locke lunging forward with his companion knife! Very cinematic and kung fu!

I don't think Kate had ever looked more beautiful than she did when she wrapped her hair back in preparation to deliver Aaron at the concert. Wow. Gorgeous.

I loved the comment from Hurley. "You were a great number two." And Linus: "And YOU were a GREAT number one."

Why didn't Benjamin enter the house of light?