The Miles Davis Story

Late

Tower had this for $7.99 two weeks ago, and I picked up a copy. (Now, for whatever reason, they appear to be selling it for $9.99.) This documentary has been discussed before (though I couldn't find any threads after a search), but I thought it was worth bringing back to the spotlight.

The most refreshing aspect for me of the program (which certainly isn't comprehensive, and doesn't claim to be) is that it actually gives equal treatment to all "periods" of Miles' playing. Yes, that means the 70's work, 80's work, and even the last bit of early 90's work gets mentioned in detail. Hallelujah! There's absolutely none of the Crouch-Wynian spin that "Miles wanted to be liked by younger fans and so he started playing rock music" here, and, as a result, the evolutionary line through all the decades that Miles performed seems all the more clearer, almost as if you can hear at times why Miles, for instance, would cover a Cyndi Lauper tune.

I wish that some of the concert footage could have gone on longer (and there's no reason, I suppose, some of this footage could have existed at the end as unedited "special features"), as it's inevitably the highlight of the documentary. In particular, the '69 date in Germany, from what little one gets to see of it, seems especially exciting. The documentary also renewed by enthusiasm for Bill Evans (the saxophonist; or, as the narrator repeatedly says: "sax-off-uh-nist").

Who else has seen this, and what was your reaction?

The first time I watched it I was a tad disappointed, namely because talking heads kept cutting off the music. The next time around I enjoyed it a great deal more as I knew the music would be interrupted and the uh, "talking heads" (aka known as some of my favorite jazz musicians!) have some wonderful and funny tales to tell.

I especially love the segments with the guys from Ascenseur pour l'echfaud and the bits with the DeJohnettes & Dave Holland. As it covers so much ground I'm sure something new will grab me the third time around.

I actually had a dream soon after I got it that I found an Easter egg on the disc that revealed the entire '69 concert. 'fraid it 'twas just a dream. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I thought this was a great documentary. Ian Carr had a hand in its making and although there's an element of the hero-worship that some people have criticized his biography for (not a problem for me!) he understands the various phases of Miles' career as well as anyone. The concert footage was taken from (if memory serves) a gig at the Berlin Philharmonie in November '69; I have it on tape and can confirm it was a doozy.

I don't know about its availability outside the UK but Eagle Vision released a DVD last year, 'Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue' which is worth seeking out (don't let the opportunistic title put you off). It's a two hour long documentary chronicling Miles first electric period with the usual array of talking heads and includes- uniterrupted- the entire 38 minute set from the 1970 Isle of Wight festival with Gary Bartz, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and Airto Moreira (who seems to be... uh... *way* into the spirit of the occasion ;) ). Real good stuff. Be warned: Stanley Crouch pops up to grind an axe or two but not enough to spoil things. There's also some extra interview footage and a DVD Rom discography; a nice package.

I saw the 'Miles Davis Story' when it was originally broadcast by UK Channel 4 TV and have bought the DVD. On the whole I think it is the best all-round documentary of Miles' life and work and is very good at covering, with little bias, the various periods of Miles' career.

Ian Carr had a major input to this documentary. Element of hero-worship - yes - but also great insight at times. He's also very open to the music recorded late in Miles' career.

Love that bit of film where Miles is doodling away on that sketch pad and doing his best to ignore the fawning interviewer (Jools Holland on 'The Tube', I think).

• 4 weeks later...

Only a few days ago I came across the lovely documentary "The Miles Davis Story".

Of course I enjoyed it a lot.

My wife and I, really love a piece of hot/classic jazz we can listen at about 10/11 minutes from the beginning, when the Eddie Randle's Rhumboogie Orchestra picture is shown and just before Miles says something about Shorty McConnel (a trumpet player).

We really would like to know who is playing and from which CD because it sounds very recently recorded with stereophonic and a lovely and relaxed full sound.

Does anybody know anything about it? or

Does anybody know where I can get this kind of info or where could we ask for it?

Thanks in advance.

From a sunny, sunny Italy, bye, Fabio.