Thad and Mel

Mark Stryker

I unfortunately let the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Mosaic box elude me, and while I own all the original LPs, I find myself now interested in the Mosaic re-masterings (which I have yet to hear), because of the removal of artificial reverberation that I'm sure has been much discussed here in other threads. I'm posting here because I have a few specific questions: Are the single CD issues that came out on Blue Note of "Consummation," "Live at the Village Vanguard," "Central Park North," etc. remastered on the Mosaic model, sans reverb? Anybody have strong opinions one way or the other whether these are worth it, whether, in other words, removing the reverb qualifies as "revelatory"? Finally, did "Monday Night" and the the first Solid State LP ever come out on individual CDs?

Edited by Mark Stryker

I don't think the single CDs have significant reverb. They are 24-bit McMaster jobs though so they are likely not the same as what's on the Mosaic. Edit: this old thread appears to confirm that the reverb is gone from the most recent issues. They are a nominal investment if you are curious, though it looks like Central Park North is starting to get harder to find on Amazon.

Pretty sure Monday Night hasn't come out in the US at least. Not certain of the debut but don't think it has.

Edited by Big Wheel

I like 'em w/o the reverb, but with the reverb is very much relevant to how they (and everything else) sounded in its time. What radio there was was almost all AM, and reverb made a lot of things go down/come out a lot easier. I still can't help but hear sooner or later some of that stuff through "AM ears", static and all. It ain't bad, really, unless, I guess, you weren't there at the time.

The informative booklet in the Mosaic box has some interesting details of the rehearsals and recording sessions for Solid State, also about Solid State's 'ethos'. It mentions that Phil Ramone and Manny Albam were involved and that rookie recording engineers used the rehearsals as training sessions.

I have most of the sessions on original LP (some UK pressings, come US) and also the Mosaic on vinyl and I enjoy the sessions both with and without reverb. The reverb works best IMP on the original, first session.