Lee Morgan - Tomcat

mjzee

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer this, the RVG Edition cover from 2006. Shame it's the 'copy protected' release. Better cropping of the photo IMO. It's above average Morgan but a lot of moolah. If they want to issue 'New Land' in this series I could be tempted.

o803755.jpg

Edited by Imeanyou

I hate that I now want to buy a copy of Tomcat with that new cover, even though I own the previous version already and don't even like it that much.

I think that magic from early on in my jazz listening, when I'd pick up cds from Jerry's Record Exchange and walk home, the cover art burning holes in my head as I anticipated what all great music I had in my hands, then popping in one cd after the next and reading the liner notes and looking at the photos as the music played... I know cover art is secondary to the music itself and I've long stopped religiously reading liner notes, but I don't think I'll ever stop feeling a visceral reaction to cover art.

I hate that I now want to buy a copy of Tomcat with that new cover, even though I own the previous version already and don't even like it that much.

I think that magic from early on in my jazz listening, when I'd pick up cds from Jerry's Record Exchange and walk home, the cover art burning holes in my head as I anticipated what all great music I had in my hands, then popping in one cd after the next and reading the liner notes and looking at the photos as the music played... I know cover art is secondary to the music itself and I've long stopped religiously reading liner notes, but I don't think I'll ever stop feeling a visceral reaction to cover art.

Well said.

so, in light of this discussion, I went back and re-listened to this several times. Love the head of the title tune, the solos aren't quite up to that level, and Jackie in particular isn't having his best day at Rudy's...but still it's easily 'release quality' to me, no worse than The Rumproller which is what did come out, not up to Search For the New Land or The Gigalo....

Well said.

Hey, thanks. I indulge my nostalgic ramblings, but I don't expect others to have the same level of appreciation, lol.

so, in light of this discussion, I went back and re-listened to this several times. Love the head of the title tune, the solos aren't quite up to that level, and Jackie in particular isn't having his best day at Rudy's...but still it's easily 'release quality' to me, no worse than The Rumproller which is what did come out, not up to Search For the New Land or The Gigalo....

Glad you mentioned The Gigolo. Search for the New Land and The Sixth Sense lead my favorite albums from my favorite Lee Morgan period/sound, but The Gigolo really explodes from that first note and doesn't let up. Doesn't get mentioned nearly enough, IMO, in Lee Morgan conversations. I'd listen to it on my ipod while walking down N. Broadway for a place to eat dinner between bar shifts; something about the pounding tempo and bright notes was terribly symbolic of living in Chicago in the middle of the night life.

Well, anyways, like I warned above, nostalgia...