Satoko Fujii

manfred

I`m just listening to a cd of her orchestra "The future of the past", and to "April Shower" with

Mark Feldman.

I like both of them, and they are quite different.

The orchestra reminds me strongly to Carla Bley`s "Escalator", especially, the way, both are

working with brass and reeds, for instance if you listen to track 3 - Incompleted on "The future

of the past", and here especially from about minute 5 to minute 12, or the starting brass "loop"

of track 1 - Pakonya, sometimes it also reminds a bit to mike westbrooks early cds.

Which of her other orchestra cds would you recommend, which are "similar" to the-future-cd????

And what else could you say about her music???

And which of her cds are a bit similar to her cd with mark feldman?

Thank you

Edited by manfred

Guest Bill Barton

A tough question... She is so amazingly prolific that picking and choosing indeed presents a challenge.

I'll leave it to others to address the orchestra discs for the most part. The one you mention is actually one of the few which I don't have, so can't say which ones are similar.

As far as discs that are along the same lines as the one with Mark Feldman, I'd definitely recommend the ones with Carla Kihlstedt. They're a bit more "open form" than April Shower. Minamo (2007) is a single disc and Kuroi Kawa~Black River(2009) is a double-CD set.

Another duo disc that knocks me out is In Krakow, In November (2006) with her husband and musical partner Natsuki Tamura. There's some flat-out gorgeous trumpet playing on this one. In a just and ideal world the title track would become a "jazz standard."

Also highly recommended is the one with Myra Melford, Under the Water (2007). They don't play together on all of the tracks, duos alternate with solos.

Guest Bill Barton

You're welcome, manfred.

Carla Kihlstedt

If nobody else contributes to this thread, in a few days I'll have some more more suggestions for you. In the process of moving right now so not much time...

I'm a bit surprised that jhoots is the only other member to respond so far.

Count me in as one of Satoko's biggest fans.