What Would You Do In A Hole With $750K (U.S.)?

JSngry

You're on the lam, you got 3/4 mil, and you live in a hole under somebody's crib. Where does the money go?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know I'm gonna catch shit for this but...

As I've said before, I really am glad that Saddam's been caught. He has a great deal to answer for, and I truly hope they throw the book at him.

However...

I'm really uncomfortable with all of the gloating that's going on (not just here, but everywhere). It's not sporting to kick a defeated foe when he's down. I don't know why, but I've always felt that way. I remember feeling that way when my friends were joking about Reagan being shot, I felt that way when people made fun of Gorbachev when the Soviet Union collapsed, and I felt that way when people mocked the Unibomber after his arrest. Punish the man for what he did, yes. Mock him when he's beaten, no. When your enemy is on the ropes, that's the time to extend the hand of friendship. It's the right thing to do.

I just wanted to put that out there. I don't expect it to have any effect (other than convince Dan and Berigan that I'm a Saddam supporter)....

I hope you got your mitt on, Alexander! :P

I would normally agree with the idea of showing grace to a defeated foe, but in Saddam's case, I don't feel much sympathy for him.

Regardless of whether this war was right or not, we know this man has committed heinous acts against his own people. To me, it is good that he has been caught. Hopefully this will contribute in a small way to our troops getting out of that place.

I think making a few jokes about the guy is a lot kinder than what the Iraqi people will do with him.

I honestly felt compassion for the man as I watched the footage of him udergoing check-ups by the doctors. He looked completely defeated as a man. Makes one kind of sad.

But then I thought about all the evil he transgressed upon his people... all the suffering while he was living in extravangent palaces. All the people he killed and tortured. And that sympathy vanished.

The best sentence in my eyes considering all he's done is to lock him in solitary confinement for the rest of his years.

The best sentence in my eyes considering all he's done is to lock him in solitary confinement for the rest of his years.

I think so too. He's evil, so let him sit in a cell and think about it for years on end.

Somehow, I doubt the people of Irag feel the same way.

He's evil...

But that's just it...he's not evil. Look at him. He's mad. He's been mad all along, but this ordeal has crushed what little sanity he had left. I agree that he's responsible for horrible, horrible crimes, and for that he has to pay the piper. But there's no question in my mind that we're not dealing with a devil, but with a lunatic.

You also must remember that Saddam was put in power, and partially maintained, by the United States. Does anybody REALLY think that the people who backed his installation didn't understand the kind of man they were dealing with? Don't kid yourself. They knew. They knew what kind of person he was, what he was capable of, and what he would do once he was in power. And as long as he served the interests of the U.S., that was fine and dandy. I know that people are going to say that this was a mistake, that France and Russia continued to support Saddam long after the U.S. stopped, but that's not the issue. The point is that our government was a willing accomplice in Saddam's crimes for years. At the very least, Bush should acknowledge this. At most, we need to rebuild Iraq in penance for what we helped Saddam do to his own people.

I mean, for Christ's sake, our current Vice President was Saddam's BUSINESS PARTNER during the Clinton years! Many of the men in the current administration not only count Saddam Hussein as a former crony, but as an old friend! And these are same people who stumped the hardest for his removal. This is sick, sick business. There are no good guys here, people. Everybody involved in this war has innocent blood on his hands, not just the guy in the hole.

For the record, this poll is not SPECIFICALLY about Saddam. Read the title, and the question and tell me if you see his name!

Now, it might be "inspired by a true story", as they say... ;)

But really, you gotta laugh at the absurdity of the situation - you're on the lam, running for your life, you got half the world hot on your ass, you've dodged more bullets than any human has a right to expect to, you're literally "holed up", and you got SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS!!! CASH!!!!

Sorry, but that just strikes me as an incredibly funny scenario, in either the abstract or the concrete. Like they said on National Lampoon's Radio Dinner (has that ever made CD, btw?):

You are a fluke of the universe.

You have no right to be here.

And whether you can hear it or not,

The universe is laughing behind your back.

That's where the humor comes from - the cosmic joke of the whole thing. Karma's a bitch, ain't it.

BTW, I see that a whopping 10 people have selected hookers and blow. Remind me to look y'all up sometimes... :g:g:g

But really, you gotta laugh at the absurdity of the situation - you're on the lam, running for your life, you got half the world hot on your ass, you've dodged more bullets than any human has a right to expect to, you're literally "holed up", and you got SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS!!! CASH!!!!

Sorry, but that just strikes me as an incredibly funny scenario...

That aspect of the story did strike me as somewhat amusing, I agree. And I know that your poll wasn't "about" Saddam, per se, but obviously everybody knew whose "true story" it was based on and ran with it. That's what I was responding to.

At times like this, I feel like I should have been a Defense Attorney. I always feel compelled to stick up for the indefensible just because it would be so easy to kick them when they're down!