Manhattan-Capitol Blue Note Vinyl

Leeway

As far as BN vinyl goes, I'm pretty happy with any good, clean vinyl that I can get. Of course, I love deep grooves, or early New York pressings. But even the Liberty and many UA-era vinyl re/issues sound pretty good to my ears. However, I've steered clear of Manhattan-Capitol era vinyl (mostly early-to-mid 80s I believe). I believe they have a generally bad reputation for sound quality.

Questions: Is this a well-founded perception? And, if so, what is it exactly about the Manhattan-Capitol vinyl that makes it inferior-- the vinyl? the mastering? And, is this the worst of the BN vinyl?

The early BN/Manhattan discs were imported from Europe. Bad mastering and bad pressings. Later they changed to NY masterings and pressings from Wakefield Mfg. (my old pressing plant in Phoenix). The NY/Wakefield discs are much better, but not perfect. When I spoke to the folks at Wakefield about this, they complained about not being able to control all aspects of manufacturing.

Ah, old vinyl stories of the 60s, '70s and '80's.

I bow my French head in shame to confirm that most of the bad BN-Manhattan pressings originated from the Pathe-Marconi pressing plant in Chatou, west of Paris. The plant there used the dreaded DMM mastering system.

At the time BN made a lot of false claims about the quality of those pressings.

All of the albums should have been dumped into the Seine river that flows near the damn plant.

• 2 weeks later...