Harry James Small Group recordings

Brute

I've read numerous posts about some late 30s small group sessions that James was a part of but i can't seem to find any specific info. Can anyone help me out?

Off the cuff, he's very good in some Boogie-Woogie stuff...

From a Mosaic Select (no. 30)

(G) HARRY JAMES AND THE BOOGIE WOOGIE TRIO: Harry James (tp), Pete Johnson -1, Albert Ammons -2 (p), Johnny Williams (b), Eddie Dougherty (d).

NYC, February 1, 1939

B 24060-2 Boo-Woo -1 Meritt 4 (LP)

B 24060-1 Boo-Woo -1 Br 8318

B 24061-2 Woo-Woo -2 Meritt 4 (LP)

B 24061-1 Woo-Woo -2 Br 8318

B 24062-1 Home James -1 Br 8350

B 24063-1 Jesse -2 -

Boo Woo (You Tube)

F

The Small Group sides were on this Chronological Classics CD (now OOP)

Harry James 1937-1939

(the first 16 sides only)

The first eight sides had Harry James and Buck Clayton, tp, Eddie Durham, tb, (on the first four, then Vernon Brown), Earl Warren, as, Hershel Evans, ts, Jack Washington, bar, Jess Stacy, p, Walter Page, b, Jo Jones, dr. Hele Humes, voc.

The next four sides had Harry James, Ziggy Elman, Vernon Brown, Dave Mathews, Adrian Rollini, Harry Carney, Stacy, Thurman Teague (b), and Dave Tough.

Next was the boogie-woogie session.

No alternate takes on the Classics CD (it was against their policy!).

Several possibilities to pass along to you for small group sessions on which Harry James was not the leader:

Harry James is on the Lionel Hampton session for Victor on July 21, 1938. Others along on the date include Benny Carter and Herschel Evans. The four sides recorded are on the Mosaic Lionel Hampton box.

James is on the two sides recorded live at the Hickory House in New York on January 20, 1939 as part of a jam session for which Alistair Cooke served as master of ceremonies. I have the sides on an Alamac LP, but I suspect they may be on a CD that a board member was offering a few days ago.

James was on three separate Metronome All-Star bands recorded on various dates in 1940 and 1941. I have the material on LP but suspect that most or all of it has also been on CD. The tunes are King Porter Stomp, All-Star Strut, Bugle Call Rag, One O'Clock Jump, Royal Flush (2 takes), and Dear Old Southland.

James is on a late Miff Mole data from February 17, 1937 issued on Brunswick and Vocalion. Four sides were issued. Midge Williams sings on three of them, Chick Bullock on the fourth. Two of the sides are on Frog 20.

James is on several Teddy Wilson sessions for Brunswick, all of which are available on various hep cds. The April 23, 1937 session (four sides) includes Johnny Hodges and Buster Bailey as the other horns and are all on hep 1029. The July 30, 1937 session includes Benny Goodman and Vido Musso; all four sides from that date are also on hep 1029. The August 29, 1937 session yielded five sides (one not issued on 78), all of which are on hep 1035. The September 5, 1937 includes the superb "Just a Mood" (parts 1 and 2) and two other sides, all of which are also on hep 1035. Teddy Wilson sessions from October 31 and November 9, 1938 also include James and are on hep 1043.

I've read numerous posts about some late 30s small group sessions that James was a part of but i can't seem to find any specific info. Can anyone help me out?

Just pulled out an out-of-print Columbia CD called The 1940s - The Small Groups: New Directions VCK-44222. It contains nine tracks by Woody Herman's Woodchoppers, five by the Gene Krupa Jazz Trio, and two by Harry James and his Sextet. The James group plays Pagan Love Love Song and Tuxedo Junction. James is on trumpet with Carl "Ziggy" Elmer, trombone; James Cook, clarinet; Edward Ross, tenor sax; Bruce McDonald, piano; Hilmer Trimbell, guitar; Ed Mihelich, bass, and Maclin Combine, drums on the first title, while alto saxophonist Willie Smith replaces Cook on the second.

Most of the 78 era Affinity reissues (Harry James, Frankie Newton, Red Norvo, etc.) sounded kind of thin to me. I've generally replaced them with better sounding issues on other labels (Mosaic, hep, etc.) where possible.

I have this music on a CD, "Harry James and his Orchestra and the Boogie Woogie Trio 1937-39", on the Affinity label.

I would like to mention that the trombonist from James' later band, Ziggy Elmer, is one of the greatest bebop trombonists I have ever heard (I think I used one of the Columbia cuts in Devilin Tune); far more interesting player than JJ Johnson, and in the same league as Jimmy Knepper. Incredible player.

Edited by AllenLowe