I hate 99.9999% of all rap!!!!!

BERIGAN

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f40132a4zay.jpg

I bought Prince Paul Prince Among Theives on a whim the other day, having heard it was great for a few years now. Interesting idea: a concept album about a young rapper trying to "make it". This idea would be revisited later on Paul's less-successful Politics of the Business, though it's difficult to call that one altogether "unsuccessful". After all, making a record that's supposed to sound overly-commerical, when that's not your style and for no other reason than to prove a point, is a weird thing to do.

Anyways, Prince Among Thieves features some amazing production but I'm not quite sold on some the MCing. I'm sure it'll grow on me, though. Prince Paul productions usually take a little time to fully digest.

Edited by Brandon Burke

The more I read your posts Jeff, the more I'm shocked you didn't like the cdr I sent you.  I put some heat on there man!  (tracks 12-14, no good?)  :w

What songs were they?

The Whitefield Brothers - "Prowlin'"

Desmond Williams - "High Speed Drift"

RJD2 - "Ghostwriter"

See, I would have never thought you liked rap at all. I've got all kinds of rap...

...The Beastie Boys, The DOC, Slick Rick, Public Enemy, EPMD, Erik B & Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, Gang Starr, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, Ice Cube, Brand Nubian, CMW, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Black Sheep, Del, Common Sense, Redman, Digable Planets, Outkast, The Roots, Wu-Tang, ODB, GZA, Ghost, Raekwon, Nas, Goodie Mob, Cee-Lo, Jurassic 5, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, MURS, The Grouch, Aceyalone, Typical Cats, Blackalicious, PB Wolf, Madlib, Loot Pack, Quasimoto...

I don't have Shaq-fu rockin' the mic Fu-Schnick style, though. From what I remember he was pretty garbage.

I saw Kobe rap at the House Of Blues.

that's why i'm "soul"station

i got alot of older rap.

cube, p.e.(got alot of single cds), heavy d., tribe called quest, black sheep.

dj quick, too short, snoop and dre, de la soul, their first few cds are classic

i need the early b.d.p., run dmc, gang star

ss1

Snoop? Dre? Quest? De La? Forget the jams....you're making me look old school.

962.jpg

You should both check out my buddy Dante's compilation Chains & Black Ehxaust. No track listing (of course). It's not beat-matched but I'm not really worried about that shit. All that beat-matching famous samples says to me is that whoever's doing it has way too much money. I'm sorry man, those dudes aren't "diggin" for the Bongo Band 45. Let's be honest here. They're buying that for at least $100 from a dealer. Kid Capri is one thing but these new dudes are something different.

Back to Chains.... It's a comp of soul/rock tracks that I guarantee nobody had ever heard before this thing came out. Seriously rare shit. And track 10 is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I keep waiting for Rakim to start rhyming over it.

Man, do I sound like an old crank.......

Edited by Brandon Burke

d85709nr5h6.jpg

Any of you guys hear Kurious A Constipated Monkey? I have the "I'm Kurious" 12" but have been reluctant to pull the trigger on the full-length because it always goes for a pretty decent amount of money. I heard one other track from it that I can't recal by name, it's been a while, but if I remember right the beat featured sleigh bells. And, let's be honest, you pretty much can't lose with sleigh bells.