Chet Baker - Complete Barclay Sessions

41lqXsXj1iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Chet Baker - The Complete Barclay Sessions(8-CD)

As of this posting, a marketplace seller on Amazon is selling a new/sealed copy of this box set for $38.95. I grabbed one and they re-listed so they may have several to sell. If you're curious or interested, I'd grab one fast.

Edited by mikelz777

I'm a Baker fan so at about $5 per disc, I couldn't pass it up. On the one hand, with all the alternate/partial takes and short play time on some discs, you could say that this box set is bloated at 8 discs. On the other hand, you could say that it's an interesting and somewhat unique way to present the material by putting each session on a seperate disc. I'm sure the approach probably causes a lot of love/hate reactions. I remember avoiding the 2-disc Lester Young set on Savoy because of all the alternate takes since I already owned the single disc version without them. After picking one up at another can't pass it up price and giving it a listen, the back-to-back alternate takes didn't really bother me and I actually ended up enjoying them. Having said that, the Barclay set comes at a great price at $38.95 but even so, it's still coming near the top range of what I was willing to pay for it. I'm excited about it and I'm looking forward to giving it a listen and checking out the 84-page book. This should be a good one and I highly doubt that I'm going to regret buying it at this price. (Hey, it was cheaper than a Mosaic Select!)

Edited by mikelz777

For those of you interested in the box set but missed it, I would keep an eye on it at Amazon. The prices seem to be moving around quite a bit. After the $38.95 sets disappeared the next best price for a new one was around $65.00. I just checked it again and a seller is now offering a new set for $56.00. If the price keeps moving, you might find one at a price you like.

Edited by mikelz777

ImportCDs has been a good vendor in my experience. Nice score.

This is a very nice box set. Yes, the material would have fitted on a smaller number of discs, but the presentation makes sense. The mastering is excellent. The booklet (I was surprised at how easily I read the French after all these years) is superb.

That's disappointing, sorry to hear that. I've been there several times most notably when a merchant was selling an outrageously low-priced Monk Complete Riverside Recordings box set and another, Wynton's Village Vanguard box set then cancelled on me. Fortunately, I got the delivery confirmation on the Barclay box yesterday.