For Diehard Elvis Fans

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about that - also, since my web site is getting revamped I may try it that way.

I've also decided to do a few revisions, so it may be a another month or two before it's ready.

Allen, (and others interested in self-publishing) you may find this articleof interest:

Book publishers see their role as gatekeepers shrink

Writers are bypassing the traditional route to bookstore shelves and self-publishing their works online. By selling directly to readers, authors get a larger slice of the sale price.

THE FUTURE OF READING

December 26, 2010|By Alex Pham, Los Angeles Times

Joe Konrath can't wait for his books to go out of print.

When that happens, the 40-year-old crime novelist plans to reclaim the copyrights from his publisher, Hyperion Books, and self-publish them on Amazon.com, Apple Inc.'s iBooks and other online outlets. That way he'll be able to collect 70% of the sale price, compared with the 6% to 18% he receives from Hyperion.

As for future novels, Konrath plans to self-publish all of them in digital form without having to leave his house in Schaumburg, Ill.

"I doubt I'll ever have another traditional print deal," said the author of "Whiskey Sour," "Bloody Mary" and other titles. "I can earn more money on my own."

For more than a century, writers have made the fabled pilgrimage to New York, offering their stories to publishing houses and dreaming of bound editions on bookstore shelves. Publishers had the power of the purse and the press. They doled out advances to writers they deemed worthy and paid the cost of printing, binding and delivering books to bookstores. In the world of print, few authors could afford to self-publish.

The Internet has changed all that, allowing writers to sell their works directly to readers, bypassing agents and publishers who once were the gatekeepers.

(...)

(Thinking of an unrelated thread on the economy: this trend, if that's what it is, would seem to be bad for book publishers and paper mills, but good for writers and purveyors of digital media. ... and probably bad for Walmart.) ^_^