Johnny Mathis' "Open Fire, Two Guitars"

Larry Kart

You know, you talk about Dean...I was on my way to a gig in Victoria weekend before last, and we made a stop at the Rudy's in Waco to take a pee and leave with some cue (both of which are essential elements of any road trip worth being called such). Well, ok, walk into the men's room and some Country/Christian thing is finishing up and before you know it, here's Dean Freakin' Martin coming on with "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm'. The combination of place, function, and soundtrack really threw me for a loop, but not nearly ass much as listening to how Dean was bouncing his phrases off of what I assumed to be Joe Comfort's bass lines (if it wasn't Comfort, oh well, it was still right in there). The whole thing was just TOO DAMN COOL, a first-ballot shoo in for the Road Trip Urination And Barbecue Stop Hall Of Fame.

I love it when stuff like that happens.

Above or below sea level?

Knowing Dean, simultaneously both.

For such an icon, his music does not seem to circulate much.

Have you read Tosches' DINO? It's Tosches, of course, and as hyperbolic / Thompson-esque (Hunter S. and Jim) as can be, but I remember it as offering some real insights.

Have scanned the book, not read it, probably won't unless I get laid up in bed for a long time...don't care that much overall, but read enough reviews to get the gist and what I suspect are all the pertinent insights. A lazy man's approach, as befits the subject, perhaps.

As for Dean's music, there's some...pretty good, not great, things to be heard on both Capitol & Reprise. And "Houston", hey, if you don't like "Houston", then what's the point, right?

But The Selling Of The Dean Myth is ALL about The Image. The actual music, fine as more-than-you-might-think of it actually is, is just there as an excuse.

Not that it wasn't always that way...

Have scanned the book, not read it, probably won't unless I get laid up in bed for a long time...don't care that much overall, but read enough reviews to get the gist and what I suspect are all the pertinent insights. A lazy man's approach, as befits the subject, perhaps.

Was Deano lazy or just the ne plus ultra of cool (not synonymous with hip) as temperament-turned-philosophy? That here was a celebrity who lived his life counter to the redemptive narrative reserved for most celebrities like him is a kind of triumph... I guess...

Was he lazy? No, not really. King of Cool (as a reissue of some of his stuff a few years ago was so-labeled and logoed)? Could be. I don't know much about that type of thing myself.

However, he lived and died long enough to sing "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" in a Waco barbecue restaurant men's room in 2010 without having to actually be there. How much more of a triumph is there to be had?

Was he lazy? No, not really. King of Cool (as a reissue of some of his stuff a few years ago was so-labeled and logoed)? Could be. I don't know much about that type of thing myself.

However, he lived and died long enough to sing "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" in a Waco barbecue restaurant men's room in 2010 without having to actually be there. How much more of a triumph is there to be had?

It ain't marinara, but BBQ sauce is still red. And you can bet your fried okra there's no Vic Damone reverberating in the hallowed halls of any Central Texas smokehouse.

What if they'd cast Johnny Mathis as Bama Dillert in SOME CAME RUNNING?

Q: How much bbq do you have to eat to spew so much bullshit all day every day?

Sounds like the whole goddamn steer-- the whole goddamn HERD.

While your correct there's EXCELLENT material on both Capitol and Reprise--

Name me a better duet singer than Dean Martin... ** EVER **.

Rarely on record, this is true, but OFTEN on his tv show.

From Louis Armstrong on up (chronologically)

(Mills Brothers, Step Brothers, Lorne Greene...

THEN go watch "Rio Bravo."

You know, you talk about Dean...I was on my way to a gig in Victoria weekend before last, and we made a stop at the Rudy's in Waco to take a pee and leave with some cue (both of which are essential elements of any road trip worth being called such). Well, ok, walk into the men's room and some Country/Christian thing is finishing up and before you know it, here's Dean Freakin' Martin coming on with "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm'. The combination of place, function, and soundtrack really threw me for a loop, but not nearly ass much as listening to how Dean was bouncing his phrases off of what I assumed to be Joe Comfort's bass lines (if it wasn't Comfort, oh well, it was still right in there). The whole thing was just TOO DAMN COOL, a first-ballot shoo in for the Road Trip Urination And Barbecue Stop Hall Of Fame.

I love it when stuff like that happens.

Lacking the advantage of the room sound created by the Rudy's mens' room's natural acoustics and speakers, I nevertheless gladly present to you, replete with Joe Comfort's bass lines (if it wasn't Comfort, oh well, it was still right in there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kys-5tRDjy8

Bounce a-PLENTY!

Lacking the advantage of the room sound created by the Rudy's mens' room's natural acoustics and speakers, I nevertheless gladly present to you, replete with Joe Comfort's bass lines (if it wasn't Comfort, oh well, it was still right in there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kys-5tRDjy8

Bounce a-PLENTY!

Nope, Red Callender -- same difference, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Winter_Romance#Complete_Musical_Credits