brother jack on Atlantic: oh no its not like JOS on verve, is it?

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

ive always shied away from these albums, no thats not the right word, ive avoided them, now im groovin to this 45, mush melon/do it now-- i dont know which is the a-side the room is too dark but anyhoo, this is why too 60s-funky-mod dance beat for Captain Brother Jack. i dont like it at all. are all the records like this? what abouyt that one tabacco road? this is by far a low point in his albums, cause his later cadet stuff is out of site

now put on another brother 45: Cadet: "BLACK IS!" ahhhhh thats better!!!!!

Edited by chewy

All Platinum? do tell!

wait ok yr not talkin about his 80s albums for SUGAR HILL.........youve heard those, right? oh theyre fantastic

oh sophoistated funk? oh thats not on cadet? oh yeah, well wait that ones a bad one? i have that one, how can u forget that one, lol- yea, ill check it out again, revisit.....

I think he was just shopping for a label. I worked with him briefly after his All Platinum LP. Sylvia Robinson insisted he take a bass player on the gig to do the funk tunes. Frank Prescod had done the lp but was unavailable for the gigs and I ended up with the gig. Didn't last long. McDuff didn't NEED a bass player and probably realized Sylvia was jive. I played like every other tune - I guess the funk charts from the lp and layed out while McDuff did his real thing. That being said it was a gas to just sit next to the guy and watch him play. The Cadet lps came later and they were the real thing. Two buddies of mine were on board then - Ronnie Davis and Vinnie Corrao.

wow! so you gigged with the man himself?!? were those gigs pretty outta site? what year was this, and what city? was brother jack still a bro to you even though you were on bass and stuff? wow!

It had to be 1976 or 1977 and as I said I wasn't with him long. He was a nice guy but really didn't want a bass player. PLUS it was an extra salary. One of the gigs was at the Mozambique in Detroit.

so wait even though he was forced to use bass on the lp, he also was forced to use it during live gig? still sounds like an awesome expeierince!

I think Sylvia Robinson talked him into it. I'm sure she did not contribute financially towards anything. AFAIK it's the only time he took a bassist on the road. For my part I'm glad to have worked with him.