Are there any dedicated vinyl shops left in your neck of the woods?

Dmitry

Today on my way home from NY I stopped by the local [35 miles from my town] vinyl-only shop called the Mystic Disc, in beautiful Mystic, Connecticut.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/

This was my second time browsing there in the last 5 years. Last time I scored a couple of good LPs, found nothing of interest jazz-wise this time; lots of 1970s-1980s rock/pop LPs in the stacks, some obscure. There were about 10 youths :rolleyes: hanging out in and outside the store, talking music and vinyl, which was heartwarming to see.

How this place stays in business is a mystery to me. Nevertheless, it's there, and has been for years.

Not too far from Mystic is the Book Barn, the second largest used bookstore I've been to, after the Strand in NY. If you are driving down this stretch of I-95, make sure to stop by there, unless you're severely allergic to cats. Prices are insanely low, they carry hundreds of art books, among thousands of other titles. A wonderful, unusual place.

Thanks, Paul. I'll definitely stop by there!! Never heard of this store before.

Along the same route, just off the I-95, there is also a 'Cutler's Records and Tapes', 27 Broadway, New Haven, (203) 777-6271, which carries a small selection of used jazz vinyl and cds, alongside with rock and a decent selection of used classical cds and LPs.

Thanks, Paul. I'll definitely stop by there!! Never heard of this store before.

Along the same route, just off the I-95, there is also a 'Cutler's Records and Tapes', 27 Broadway, New Haven, (203) 777-6271, which carries a small selection of used jazz vinyl and cds, alongside with rock and a decent selection of used classical cds and LPs.

Trust me - Sally's is a hundred times more worthwhile than Cutler's - just for the atmosphere alone.

Everywhere I go, the vinyl places seem to be proliferating, and the CD places retreating, or at least adding to the vinyl. As much as I like/prefer vinyl, I can only buy CDs these days, since I can only rip them to MP3 for my portable, then I have to get rid of the physical CD. All the vinyl is becoming a bit frustrating. But from all appearances, it's all that sells. Until the fad passes.

It's getting to the stage in my neck of the woods that there are more vinyl places than 'serious' CD outlets ! (Tesco etc. excluded) :unsure:

That's probably right. But I haven't got the patience to look through all the high priced dross in some of these places (especially those that don't have separate jazz bins).

Paul, I stopped by Sally's Place today. No vinyl to speak of, but I'll be darn if this is not the only store that I've shopped at in the last 3 years that carries an extensive selection of new jazz cds.Her $2 used stacks are nothing to sneeze at either. I scored a Guy Lafitte disc there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Less than 5 years ago there were the stalwart Tower and Virgin, where one could easily spend 2 hours browsing, and to a lesser degree B&N and Borders, and now being in a retail store the size of a New York studio apartment makes for a happening...

Paul, I stopped by Sally's Place today. No vinyl to speak of, but I'll be darn if this is not the only store that I've shopped at in the last 3 years that carries an extensive selection of new jazz cds.Her $2 used stacks are nothing to sneeze at either. I scored a Guy Lafitte disc there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Less than 5 years ago there were the stalwart Tower and Virgin, where one could easily spend 2 hours browsing, and to a lesser degree B&N and Borders, and now being in a retail store the size of a New York studio apartment makes for a happening...

Glad to hear you made the stop. I've always enjoyed my visits to Sally's for the atmosphere alone - plus I always find something to buy.

Forgot to mention, she did have LPs - two Mosaic sets, each priced at $75.

The Quebec 45s and the Quebec/Hardee. Both sets are mint.

Lady told me she does mail order, if anyone's interested.

http://sites.google.com/site/sallysplaceofwestportct/

Paul, thanks again for hipping me onto this little store. I'll be driving to NY every other weekend for the next 6 months, and will stop by Sally's again for sure.

We've had at least five record stores in town for decades and we've had two small ones open in the last 4 months. One of them isn't much to speak of but the other is primarily vinyl with a 70/30 used/new mix. One of the stores in town has tons of vinyl. Jazz is not its strong suit which is a shame but the store is well known so it's always worth checking out because I've picked up some good stuff there from time to time. It's not as great as Berkeley or San Francisco but it's a hell of a lot shorter drive.