mosaic teagarden set

I was trying to balance out some unequal christmas giving, and I ended up ordering the mosaic Jack Teagarden set for my bro-in-law, who is also a tbn player.

I really wanted to buy that set for myself! Oh well, I will have to try and get some extra scratch together and buy my own before they run out.

Do any Organi reader/posters have the set I speak of? I have a handful of T's LPs, but the documentation and presentation that the Mosaic sets offer have me really jonesing!

The Roulette set is amazingly great. . . . I've had the lps and this set sounds better than the lps do to me. And there is an extra cd and a half of the live material at the Roundtable! A great working band preserved here in a wonderful box set; this is what Mosaic is so good at doing!

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a fairly battered but listenable vinyl of JT at the Roundtable, how indicative is this of the JT Mosaic as a whole. I've been very surprised how good is sounds, real swinging performances that sound quite modern in a way. The pianist Don Ewel seems especially sprited-don't know anything about him.

any further thoughts?

I was really surprised that I enjoyed it so much, goes to show that you should challenge yourself with stuff outside of your usual envelope!

Thanks for the input Lon, I can see this will probably my next Mosaic purchase ( much later this year, on account of glut of unlistened too CDs and LPs)

Yes, you should challenge yourself!

Teagarden was one of those guys who was sort of genreless. He wasn't known for bebop but I am certain it wasn't because he couldn't PLAY it! He was such an incredible player, and he knew so well what NOT TO PLAY, not to grandstand or spew chops all over the place. And his singing I hold in the highest esteem. I've been buying Teagarden whenever I see something I don't have. I am so rarely at all even slightly disappointed.

I see that ASV is putting out a three cd set of Teagarden material that doesn't cost too much. . . that would be a good set to have. . . if only I didn't have everything on it already!

I was really surprised that I enjoyed it so much, goes to show that you should challenge yourself with stuff outside of your usual envelope!

Ain't that the truth? I've finally figured out that if I love every CD I buy, I'm just being a chicken. Jazz musicians aren't the only ones that need to take chances! :) (Of course, when I get one I don't like, I try real hard not to think about what I could have bought instead...)

Ain't that the truth? I've finally figured out that if I love every CD I buy, I'm just being a chicken. Jazz musicians aren't the only ones that need to take chances! :) (Of course, when I get one I don't like, I try real hard not to think about what I could have bought instead...)

I love trying new music (especially when it turns out good).

One of the fun things about jazz is all the different permutations and styles.

My wife has never understood how I can buy CDs by artists that I've never even heard before.

Man, I love listening to Jack Teagarden. :D

The folks who knock Bobby Hackett ought to compare the Teagarden Hackett sessions (Capitol) and Teagarden w/ Goldie. Although Goldie and Hackett might have some superficial commonalties (nice tone, good range) Hackett's phrasing, inventiveness, and swing are in another league.

Goldie doesn't bother me either. He had very impressive chops and could be somewhat florid. I think it is this aspect of his playing that turns off some listeners. That being said - he was never the jazz player that Bobby Hackett was, although his technique and range surpassed Bobby's. Goldie would have been capable of first chair in a section and that's something Bobby - or Wild Bill for that matter - couldn't do - and didn't aspire to.