1960s Free Jazz

AllenLowe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, a fair amount of the musicians still with us and playing aren't all that interested in talking about the "old days." Holland is a particular example... ONLY wanted to talk about his new records and pretty much had no interest in talking about the '70s or the '60s.

I talked to Achyutan/Marvin about this thread, and he told me to mention that he's "still trying to kick." Even though he's more often than not playing in a mainstream bag these days, I get the sense he's still fond of a lot of what went down back then. He'll talk about his time with Pharoah, or his stint with Trane, or how Ed Blackwell was "the best," with a great deal of fondness. A lot of looking now/forward, but looking back isn't so bad (I guess) when back was pretty good.

Chick Corea.

I could go on. It rather depends what you decide to count. Paul Motian. Like I say I won't go on but you see my point. Kenny Wheeler. There is a tendency in thinking about free jazz to emphasize only certain figures, often those not capable of doing much if anything else, but in any case romantically marginal. Keith Jarrett. See where I'm going with this? Herbie Hancock. Sonny Rollins. Jan Garbarek. John Surman.

I could go on but I'm just gonna give Bitches Brew a spin. Oh wait...