Freddie Redd/Butch Warren quintet

bertrand

The Freddie Redd/Butch Warren quintet will have its first club date next week-end at the historic Bohemian Caverns in D.C., Friday 2/11 and Saturday 2/12. This is particularly significant for Butch since it was at the Caverns that he met Kenny Dorham, who brought him to NYC in late '59 - the rest is history.

They will be accompanied by Brad Linde (ts, bars, arr), Brian Settles (ts) and Tony Martucci (d).

I will be there on 2/12 (I'll be at Duke U. for the Wayne Shorter gig on 2/11). If anyone else is going on 2/12, drop me a PM.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Can't believe there hasn't been more interest in this. I'm coming down from Philly and staying overnight. Bertrand, I'll be there for both sets. Do you know whether I can get a ticket for the first set and pay an extra cover/stay for the second, or should I buy tickets for both sets? I can't get anyone to answer the phone. I still have your number from missing you at the Wayne Shorter set in Philly, so will try to call you.

That's great that you are coming down, Peter! I really appreciate your support. Brad Linde has been working really hard to put this together, and he did not always get the help he could have used. I can't help on Friday since I will be at the Wayne gig at Duke U., but I will be there Saturday. It is Saturday that you are going, correct?

Usually you can stay for both sets with one ticket. I've never had a problem and I don't think this gig will sell out, although pre-sales are starting to pick up quite a bit.

Bertrand.

Well, it was more than well worth the trip from Philadelphia to see the band last night. Thanks to Bertrand for his help making the gig happen; Rolf, a pleasure to meet you finally! The set was extraordinary--from the first note, you knew, blindfolded, it was Butch--that huge, fat, walking bass tone. Brilliant. Freddie Redd sounded positively Ellingtonian. The band played a mix of Redd originals and standards--running it out with a killing version of Take the A Train.

What a tremendous night!!

Edited by Peter Johnson

Thanks so much for coming all the way down for this gig! And thanks to Rolf and his friends (and my co-worker Vicki and her fiancee) for coming as well. It was a very successful night - first set sold out!

A special thanks needs to go out to Brad Linde for all his hard work on this and other projects he has put together over the last few years, sometimes in the face of extroardinary challenges. Two years ago I said to him: 'I wonder if I'll ever get to see Freddie Redd', and next thing you know...

We are lucky in D.C. to have someone so dedicated to presenting interesting and original jazz programming.

Bertrand.

P.S.

Also thanks to Gigi Gryce, who was indirectly reponsible for my meeting Brad :)

Edited by bertrand

'Twas indeed a fun show! Been awhile since I've been up around the U Street area (last time was the 'O' show over at Twins Jazz, I think?). It was good to see you again, Bertrand. Had you not posted here, I would have totally missed hearing about it. That Brad Linde did a nice job. Also, very nice to meet you, Peter.....hope to catch you at a show and tip a cold one next time I'm up in Philly. :tup