Problems with shipping from the UK?

I spoke too soon earlier in this thread (or maybe it was a related thread) - I have three separate orders from three different sellers in the UK that I've now been waiting on since the beginning of January. Two were pretty substantial DVD orders, but one was a regular-sized trade paperback, which blew my theory of the delays only happening with larger packages (I ordered a single DVD from Amazon.uk since then and it got here within a week and a half).

I ordered a cover for my new KIndle from an Amazon seller in England. That was on December 28th. I received a shipping notification several days later that established a delivery window of between January 26th and February 8th. Today is the 8th and there's still no sign of the package. I guess its comforting to know I'm not the only one in this boat, but it's still frustrating. Today I deleted some pretty nasty feedback I'd left on Amazon's website choosing instead to believe that the circumstances were beyond the control of the seller. I guess that remains to be seen.

I sent a note to the seller and received a response yesterday. He said he could either send another one (which he said he could get to me in two weeks) or he would give me a full refund. My question is, if he couldn't get the first one to me in six weeks, how can he say he get a second one to me in two? Is there a shipping method available to sellers in the U.K. that circumvents whatever it is that holds up the process?

Also remember that many packages from the US are sent bulk air frieght for economy reasons to a European distributor (could be anywhere, Holland, Germany, Scandinavia) where they are then put in the local post. This can add a week or so to transmission times. I imagine the same goes for packages to the US.

I think John hit the nail right on the head. Some packages from sellers in the United States and the United Kingdom take weeks and sometimes even months to get here, and, when they finally arrive, they turn out to have been handled by private carriers who appear to be more interested in the big stuff, i.e. bulk contracts with big companies, than in delivering a few small packets in a timely manner, which is relatively costly. I tried to file complaints, but to no avail.

There's a lot to be said for bricks and mortar. I was at Ray's Jazz yesterday (on my way to hear Bartok/Stravinsky at the RFH - just amazing) and they actually had stuff that appealed to me. Yeah costs more but at least it's simple.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a business concept that mixes the record shop bricks and mortar experience with the convenience of the internet. If I was a savvy business entrepreneur maybe I would have done so already. Anyone know of any attempts at this?

There's a lot to be said for bricks and mortar. I was at Ray's Jazz yesterday (on my way to hear Bartok/Stravinsky at the RFH - just amazing) and they actually had stuff that appealed to me. Yeah costs more but at least it's simple.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a business concept that mixes the record shop bricks and mortar experience with the convenience of the internet. If I was a savvy business entrepreneur maybe I would have done so already. Anyone know of any attempts at this?

ie. A virtual reality Mole Jazz on the internet - including the scrum to get through the door on sale days and the queue at the best racks? That would be a hoot !

Edited by sidewinder