Oscar night!

Fairly predictable in both the show and the results. I'm a big King's Speech/Colin Firth fan, so I'm happy for the win. I thought Social Network was overrated and True Grit a bit pedestrian for the Coens (though I certainly liked both films). I did think that Tom Hooper wasn't quite as deserving of the Best Director win than several of the other nominees - though if you'd asked me I would have given it to Chris Nolan for Inception even though I didn't like Inception all that much. But I know enough about making movies to know that Inception was an incredible feat, both technically and creatively, and that it was Nolan who held it all together. Was also very happy for Christian Bale - his performance in The Fighter was scary good.

I haven't seen The Oscar telecast since Shakespeare In Love won Best Picture instead of Saving Private Ryan. That was it for me. Nonetheless, I was somewhat disappointed to find that True Grit did not fare well. Thought is was Oscar worthy in several areas. IMO, the whole show is nothing but a self-indulgent love fest. Hollywood-phony in every possible respect. What's the point of actually watching it?

While I liked True Grit, there were several films that I felt were more deserving this year - and I saw 9/10 of the Best Picture noms. It certainly was "Oscar worthy," but obviously not every one can win. Spielberg made an excellent point during his presentation of the fine company the "losing" films are in. As for the show being a "self-indulgent love fest," well of course it is. It's an awards show that's meant to celebrate an industry. Nobody should ever expect anything different.

What's the point of actually watching it?

post-377-0-19316200-1298918896_thumb.jpg

Yep, there is that.

If it were up to me, I would have given the Oscar to "Toy Story 3" for Best Movie

That is my fiancee's favorite of the year, too. It's darn good--I thought Pixar only did better with Wall-e and Ratatouille. Funny how their animated characters are better actors than 90% of those hollywood types.

Sadly, I saw exactly one. And didn't like it. If they start nominating things like Transformer and Twilight movies, I'll be able to see more, but then I'd probably just jump off a bridge. It's tough out here in the boonies.

Now I'm curious...which one did you see?