Imagine the Sound now on VOD

medjuck

I'd been waiting to tell people about an American distributor for the DVD of this film but Ron Mann who made it now tells me the US distributor went bankrupt shortly after getting the rights. All the DVDs have been destroyed! However the film is now available for viewing at

http://mubi.com/films/26889

If you haven't' seen this you should try to do so. It's really good. Great interviews and complete performances done specifically for the film. The Taylor piece has been used in several other films but the other three do great work too-- though their segments are not as visually spectacular.

That's depressing that it was so close to a DVD release only to have the plug pulled in such a fashion. Reminds me of the MC5 documentary MC5: A TRUE TESTIMONIAL, which got as far as some theatrical screenings and promotional DVDs sent out to reviewers before the filmmakers had a falling out with Wayne Kramer and he successfully sued to block release of the film.

I still have my Voyager laserdisc of IMAGINE THE SOUND, which seems like the best way to see it short of the odd rep screening.

I'd been waiting to tell people about an American distributor for the DVD of this film but Ron Mann who made it now tells me the US distributor went bankrupt shortly after getting the rights. All the DVDs have been destroyed!

That's depressing that it was so close to a DVD release only to have the plug...

these posts make it sound like this dvd was never released. is that the case? i have a copy and it looks like this:

51we8L60fBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

do i have something i'm not supposed to have, or am i reading your posts wrong?

my disc and case say "filmswelike," "sphinx productions" (studio?), and "distributed exclusively in canada by morningstar entertainment."

it is, of course, classic. i thought this doc was widely owned and viewed...

Edited by thedwork

I screened it at Los Angeles Filmforum a couple of years ago. It is pretty darn good The show was lightly attended. Ron Mann said at that time that it was being remastered for what I presume was that DVD release. Pain in the ass, but do check it out if you haven't seen it.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...