London & Thailand

Dear friends,

Next week i'll be flying to London for the first time in my life and i'll have 1,5 day to spend there before catching a long fly to Bangkok.

I'll be staying at the corner of Norfolk Square and London Street and if there's any record store where i can buy jazz CDs that would be lovely.

In Thailand i'm supposed to stay in Pattaya so i have no expectations on CDs over there. Please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Many thanks for any recommendation you may have!

Marcus

Hi Marcus - I can add something for the London bit of the equation.

I see that you are staying in the Paddington area. From there it's not too far (maybe a tube ride or two) to Westbourne Grove - Honest Jon's is there (good CD selection including Sun Ras etc. plus some nice ska etc. on their own label), rare and expensive vinyl of all types at 'Intoxica' (bring a wheel barrow full of cash) and there's also the Rough Trade shop for alt. rock. All within the Notting Hill area - also check out Portobello Road Market, well worth a detour.

Down on Oxford St I think there's still a HMV at the Marble Arch end. If you were heading towards the Oxford St/Tottenham Cour Road end then 'Ray's Jazz' is on the 3rd floor of Foyle's Bookshop, on Charing Cross Road (RHS heading down from Tottenham Court Road Tube). I was in there last week - no rarities at the moment I'm afraid :g .

Have a great visit ! Lots of good drinking dens and also restaurants to suit all price levels in London these days. Good Chinese eateries around Soho/Gerrard St/Chinatown and a good selection of all cuisines around Charlotte St.

Edited by sidewinder

Sweet memories.

I lived in Ladbroke Grove for two years, and the places sidewinder named were my hunting playground, twentyfive years ago, more or less, no money then, but I spent hours looking at stuff I couldn't afford.

BTW there was a tiny used cd shop close to Notting Hill tube station, I guess it's long gone.

Edited by porcy62

You'd be shocked as to how much more expensive housing/rents are in Ladbroke Grove these days, porcy. No longer an economy option (back in the 1970s/80s it was bed-sit land).

You must have been living near Lansdowne Studio in Holland Park then?

Sorry about the wee diversion :g

In London, check out FOPP in the Covent Garden area. Not the biggest selection in the world but unbeatable prices.

Yes - they are doing all of the Atlantic Jazz Masters at £3 each at the moment. Plus quite a few Blue Notes at £3.

There is one Fopp at Cambridge Circus (just above Covent Garden) which usually has a reasonable selection. Another good one at Torrington Place/Bloomsbury - right next to UCL.

Edited by sidewinder

I second Sidewinder's Guide to Diminishing Music Retail in London

But might add that if secondhand Jazz or indie rock etc is your thing then you might take a stroll down Berwick Street (it's conveniently situated between HMV on Oxford Street and Ray's Jazz) where you'll find three or four stores. Also in that area (Soho) you'll find Soul Jazz Records (best google for adress as I can't remember it!). Stay later into the evening and you've got Pizza Express Jazz Club and Ronnie Scott's on your doorstep.

Enjoy London when you get here

Down on Oxford St I think there's still a HMV at the Marble Arch end.

You mean the Bond Street branch? It shut down last weekend. The main Oxford Street branch is still going, though.

There used to be lots of branches of Record and Tape Exchange (showing my age there) along Notting Hill Gate; don't know if that's still the case, although the Book Exchange is definitely still in business.

You mean the Bond Street branch? It shut down last weekend.

Damn - sorry to hear that.

I thought there was also one on the Western end of Oxford St - Southern side of the Street, towards Marble Arch. There certainly used to be one (since the 1970s in fact) but haven't checked it out so it recently so it may well be long gone.

Berwick Street and Soul Jazz - totally second that recommendation. Handy for dim sum in Chinatown too ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Sweet memories.

I lived in Ladbroke Grove for two years, and the places sidewinder named were my hunting playground, twentyfive years ago, more or less, no money then, but I spent hours looking at stuff I couldn't afford.

BTW there was a tiny used cd shop close to Notting Hill tube station, I guess it's long gone.

I lived in Pembridge Villas and then Chepstow Crescent in '67 &'68. It was a fantastic place to live if squalid, years before the Yuppification. Sorry for the detour from the main topic.

You mean the Bond Street branch? It shut down last weekend.

Damn - sorry to hear that.

I thought there was also one on the Western end of Oxford St - Southern side of the Street, towards Marble Arch. There certainly used to be one (since the 1970s in fact) but haven't checked it out so it recently so it may well be long gone.

You may be thinking of the Bond St branch's original location, next to the entrance to Bond St Tube. It moved across the road about 10 years ago and now -- gone. HMV has another branch within Selfridges up near Marble Arch, but it's not worth visiting if you like anything beyond the most mainstream Top 40 music.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, i've managed to get cds at:

.Ray's Jazz

.HMV (Oxford Street)

.Reckless Records

.Sister Ray

.FOPP

Sadly i wasn't able to pay a visit to Honest John's but i definitely need to get back to London as i truly loved the place.

Thanks once again to all of you who helped me.

Marcus

Ok, i've managed to get cds at:

.Ray's Jazz

.HMV (Oxford Street)

.Reckless Records

.Sister Ray

.FOPP

Sadly i wasn't able to pay a visit to Honest John's but i definitely need to get back to London as i truly loved the place.

Thanks once again to all of you who helped me.

Marcus

Reckless Records must have reopened. Last time I looked at their place in Berwick Street, they were shuttered and derelict.

Edited by BillF