New Archie Shepp concert discography 1972-1980

l p

Archie Shepp Unissued Live Recordings Discography 1972-1980

http://home.earthlink.net/~lpogost/archieshepp.htm

Who put this discography together? While this is a large list, there is a significant number of dates omitted for which I own CD-Rs that have been made from personal private tapes and private open reel tapes that have yet to be transferred to CD-R. I can give more information re personnel, tunes, timings but so far I see there is no mention of:

5 July 1973 Newport JF in NYC

22 July 1976 Ravenna, Italy

13 October 1977 Rome (with Lester Bowie)

12 May 1978 Public Theater, NYC

7 September 1978 Ann Arbor JF, Michigan

? October 1978 Zurich JF

23 September 1979 Detroit Institute of the Arts

9 November 1980 Stadthalle, Freiburg Ger

On a minor note, the specific date for the Molde JF in 1980 is August 4th.

I also have a couple of dates from 1981 but I see the discography ends the previous year. But if that information is wanted, let me know.

I checked for concerts in the Boston area thinking that I might have seen Shepp in that period (although it may have been slightly later -- I remember one concert in particular at the Decordova Museum in Lincoln, Mass.). There's only one listed in Boston and it shows "S. McCoy" as vocalist on one song. I suspect this is a mistake and that the vocalist was actually Semenya McCord.

Archie Shepp Unissued Live Recordings Discography 1972-1980

http://home.earthlink.net/~lpogost/archieshepp.htm

Who put this discography together? While this is a large list, there is a significant number of dates omitted for which I own CD-Rs that have been made from personal private tapes and private open reel tapes that have yet to be transferred to CD-R. I can give more information re personnel, tunes, timings but so far I see there is no mention of:

5 July 1973 Newport JF in NYC

22 July 1976 Ravenna, Italy

13 October 1977 Rome (with Lester Bowie)

12 May 1978 Public Theater, NYC

7 September 1978 Ann Arbor JF, Michigan

? October 1978 Zurich JF

23 September 1979 Detroit Institute of the Arts

9 November 1980 Stadthalle, Freiburg Ger

On a minor note, the specific date for the Molde JF in 1980 is August 4th.

I also have a couple of dates from 1981 but I see the discography ends the previous year. But if that information is wanted, let me know.

Archie Shepp appeared at the Ann Arbor Jazz Festival on September 21, 1978, not September 7. I was there and I have the original poster for the festival.

I'd love to hear some of this stuff - I have huge admiration for Shepp's playing but dislike most of his records - and yet now and then I'll hear something of his, in passing, on the radio, etc, that just knocks me out and makes me realize what a major figure he is - like the brief thing I heard in Hartford about 25 years ago, in which a big band (which included Threadgill and Ray Anderson and Shepp) played a piece Shepp wrote and arranged that was the most uncanny re-interpretation of Ellington I have ever heard - and then it was gone, no announcement of the name of the tune, no recordings.