Terumasa Hino

Mark Stryker

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE5DB1238F931A35755C0A96E948260

Stumbled across this review today while looking for something else and was struck by the weird instrumentation -- trumpet, alto, tuba (!) two drummers (!). Did anybody hear this group or know if Hino ever recorded a version of it, perhaps for Japanese issue? I did find this clip on youtube, with Billy Pierce, Howard Johnson, Victor Lewis and Ralph Peterson. Sometimes it sounds kinda hip, other times it's pretty much a mess. But it's unique ... would like to hear other material rather than a standard.

I've always really liked Hino's playing -- raw, go-for-broke post-bop. He sounds fantastic on Hal Galper's "Now Hear This" (Enja, 1977), an incendiary quartet album, one of the great under-sung modern-modal-mainstream records. With Cecil McBee and Tony Williams. A taste:

It's hard to play trumpet like that ... metal on flesh.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I've always really liked Hino's playing -- raw, go-for-broke post-bop. He sounds fantastic on Hal Galper's "Now Hear This" (Enja, 1977), an incendiary quartet album, one of the great under-sung modern-modal-mainstream records. With Cecil McBee and Tony Williams. A taste:

It's hard to play trumpet like that ... metal on flesh.

I picked that up when it came out. Rock solid band there, for sure. I think that came out at a time when Tony wasn't very active, so it was a treat to hear him on any album.