2011 MLB Season

Yes, Boston can start losing, like, any time now. <_< But I'm not counting on it; their winning percentage since the first two weeks of the season must be hovering in the neighborhood of .700.

And yes, pathetic performance from Burnett tonight, who somehow has managed to let the Chisox make a game of it. A PA poster claimed in A.J.'s defense that it's the first time he hasn't gone 5 innings this season, and only the third time that he's given up more than 4 runs... so I won't throw in the towel on him at this point. He remains an extremely up-and-down .500 pitcher, who's still doing somewhat better than he did last year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything comes of MLB's investigation into A-Rod's gambling, I wonder if the Yankees could void his contract. Be still my racing heart.

Yes, a nice outing from A.J. tonight. He continues to shout from the highest hills, "get me out of this rotation!" I still say if Hughes can pitch like he did last night, it's Burnett who should take a hike. Can you imagine going into the post-season with A.J. as your #2 starter? It's like asking to lose. I'm starting to think we may have another Ed Whitson/Kenny Rogers head case on our hands.

Edited by Dave James

Yes, Boston can start losing, like, any time now. <_< But I'm not counting on it; their winning percentage since the first two weeks of the season must be hovering in the neighborhood of .700.

Uh, its your team that has trimmed the lead by two games to the slim margin that now separates the teams, with Boston facing Masterson behind Bedard while the Yankees go for the sweep. I'd say there are better than even chances the Yankees arrive in Boston as co-division leaders. :rolleyes:

If anything comes of MLB's investigation into A-Rod's gambling, I wonder if the Yankees could void his contract. Be still my racing heart.

Yes, a nice outing from A.J. tonight. He continues to shout from the highest hills, "get me out of this rotation!" I still say if Hughes can pitch like he did last night, it's Burnett who should take a hike. Can you imagine going into the post-season with A.J. as your #2 starter? It's like asking to lose. I'm starting to think we may have another Ed Whitson/Kenny Rogers head case on our hands.

"starting to think"??? The Yankees and Yankee fans have cut Burnett way too much slack. Sit him down for the rest of the season.

Hasn't he always been something of an enigma, ever since his Florida days. I don't think this is anything new.

I went to last Friday's game at Yankee Stadium where he was pitching and it was kind of a head scratcher. Good stuff and low pitch count and almost effective but for the fact that he gave up 2 HRs that killed them.

Uh, its your team that has trimmed the lead by two games to the slim margin that now separates the teams, with Boston facing Masterson behind Bedard while the Yankees go for the sweep. I'd say there are better than even chances the Yankees arrive in Boston as co-division leaders. :rolleyes:

Well, I won't deny that I'm happy that your speculation proved to be true; I never would have guessed that NY would be tied with Boston 2/3 of the way through the season. But NY's bound to cool off, and there's an excellent chance it will happen this weekend against the Red Sox. I'd be ecstatic just to see the Yanks take two of three from them, but that's a steep hill to climb in Fenway. BTW, if, by any chance, Boston and NY end the season tied for first, Boston's got a huge head start on the tiebreaker--what are they, 8-1 against NY so far? Even if NY somehow managed to catch up there, Boston's got a far better record against AL East teams as well.

Interesting stat cited over at Pinstripe Alley in the postgame thread:

39 innings since the Yankees last walked a batter now. Third longest streak since 1919.

Have to say I'll be depressed to see Nova get demoted again (or sent to the bullpen) on the basis of one excellent start from Hughes, but at least it's good to know we have a good starter in reserve if Colon or Garcia gets injured, or if A.J. disintegrates into an ongoing implosion again.

I never would have guessed that NY would be tied with Boston 2/3 of the way through the season.

Why? Yes they are tied but take away the flukey head-to-head matchup and the Yankees are way better against the rest of the league. This whole "woe is the Yankees, how can we ever compete against Boston" is getting tiresome. They are equally as likely to win the division, pennant, and World Series, and oh by the way, A-Rod returns to the lineup in a couple of weeks. And considering that flukey head-to-head result, I fully expect a revision toward the mean with the Yankees winning two of three in Fenway and leaving with the lead.

:rolleyes:

What pisses me off is that last night's game was managed as if Francona wanted to be sure to fall into a tie for first place. Why else would he go with the last man in the bullpen to pitch the sixth inning of a tie game against a good team? Why would he give work to that worthless pile of pig snot Andrew Miller, still with a winnable game on the line? Jesus Christ the guy took 71 pitches to record 8 outs and made sure that the game out of hand.

Maybe the Red Sox don't score against Masterson and the Indian bullpen anyway, but Francona really fucked this game away. They better not lose the division by a game.

Well, I won't deny that I'm happy that your speculation proved to be true; I never would have guessed that NY would be tied with Boston 2/3 of the way through the season. But NY's

Have to say I'll be depressed to see Nova get demoted again (or sent to the bullpen) on the basis of one excellent start from Hughes, but at least it's good to know we have a good starter in reserve if Colon or Garcia gets injured, or if A.J. disintegrates into an ongoing implosion again.

I don't understand this talk about Nova being sent down. The Yankee announcers were speculating last night about what Nova has to do to stay in the starting rotation. They talked about either Nova or Hughes being the extra man in the rotation. No mention of Burnett. Someone - are you listening, Mr. Girardi? - should have the guts to sit Burnett down. Then, if there's a problem with the rotation, he can be the one to prove himself and pitch once again. Burnett has two more years after this one on his contract, so the Yanks won't be releasing him, and no one will take him in a trade unless the Yanks pay off most or all of his contract - won't happen - but maybe he'll get the message: Hey, Jethro, you're benched until you show us something.

Edited by paul secor

I never would have guessed that NY would be tied with Boston 2/3 of the way through the season.

Why?

Because we started the season with a rotation of CC and the Misfits, and then quickly lost Hughes, who was supposed to be the second-best starter we had. Colon and Garcia have performed far beyond expectations, and Nova has really begun to come into his own as a starter. AJ's been about what I expected.. but still, the starting pitching overall has been much better than what I thought it would be, which is why I'm surprised to see us tied at this point. As for A-Rod returning, NY almost seems to be hitting better without him in the lineup!

Very nice "win by committee" at Fenway tonight. I'm starting to think the Bomber's bullpen may wind up being as good as originally advertised. Plus, with talk heating up of promoting Dellin Betances, it could get even better. On the offensive side, and if reports are to be believed, Jesus Montero may also coming to the big club. It would be nice to see him behind the plate on occasion, but more so as a DH replacement for Jorge Posada.

Benches clearing brawl after Victorino gets drilled by Ramirez in last night's 9-2 loss to the Phillies.

Apparently, the Phils have resorted to trash talking as opposed to winning WS rings. That's fine. Fire up the Giants, boys...go ahead. Get it while it's cheap.

ap-201108052349857506984.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Benches clearing brawl after Victorino gets drilled by Ramirez in last night's 9-2 loss to the Phillies.

Apparently, the Phils have resorted to trash talking as opposed to winning WS rings. That's fine. Fire up the Giants, boys...go ahead. Get it while it's cheap.

Trash talking? Cholly saying, rightly, that Lincecum and Cain are "very,very,very,good" not great pitchers is trash talk? Please. Ramirez and Whiteside showed what a bunch of punks they are last night. They embarrassed the Giants organization.

Well, we swiped one from Lester last night, but man oh man, does Boston ever seem to have CC's number--not good at all if we end up facing them in an ALCS showdown. Advantage for the series definitely Boston, what with Beckett going up tomorrow against Garcia... at least we've managed to avoid getting swept again. Plus Boston is almost certain to win the series for the year; they're now 9-2 against the Yanks, with seven games remaining between the two teams, which means NY needs to win every single one in order just to tie. In other words, Boston's all but a lock to win a division tiebreaker if they and NY end up with identical season W-L records.

I don't think getting to Sabathia a couple of times means anything going forward. If anything it increases the chance that Sabathia will shut them down at some point this season and if that happens in October the Red Sox will be in deep trouble.

Trash talking? Cholly saying, rightly, that Lincecum and Cain are "very,very,very,good" not great pitchers is trash talk? Please. Ramirez and Whiteside showed what a bunch of punks they are last night. They embarrassed the Giants organization.

Speak to your guys' manager. He was running off at the mouth about Lincecum and Cain after the Giants beat the Phils last week. That's fine. Get it while it's cheap.

Punks? And what was Placido Polanco doing charging Whiteside? The Phillies are all mouth and I guess that's all they got when it comes to trying to win championships. If they can't do it on the playing field they try to do it through insult and trash talking.

I have just become a Phillies hater.