2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit I just had a nice post about the Nationals go into the either but i wanted to say that If they get Prince Fielder or Pujols this off season they could be a very dangerous team next season. Assuming Harper and Strasburg live up to the hype and Werth bounces back they will have a chance to do some real damage. Zimmerman is a very good hitter and his defense had vastly improved. Rest of the infield is very solid. Don't know much about their bullpen but Clippard is outstanding.

Watching the Phillies/Nationals in D.C. is like a home game for the Phillies tonight. Reminds me of when the Mets used to come to town pre-2005. Tonight's crowd in D.C. is the largest in team history and I would say 2/3 of them are Phillies fans.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

it don't mean a thing if you ain't got no ring.

I could not disagree with this more. It's not just a lie, it's a big lie.

I think J.H. means it in the context of a team running up the best record in baseball, as opposed to any team that makes it into the playoffs. Most famous case is the 2001 Mariners, who won 116 games--two more than the '98 Yankees--but it's the '98 Yankees who often get referred to as the greatest team of the past few decades, whereas nobody brings up the Mariners in that regard.

Somebody posted this image at Over the Monster tonight after Boston fell behind the Royals, but I think I'm going to swipe it for future A.J. starts:

wheels+off.jpg

Meanwhile, over at Pinstripe Alley, some reaction during tonight's debacle--particularly after Girardi pulled Robinson Cano and moved catcher Russell Martin to second base:

white+flag.jpg

ABANDON YOUR POSTS!!!!

denethor_e.jpg

FLEEEEEEE FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!

Burn all the evidence that this game took place.

PSA is not for everyone

You should not view PSA if you are pregnant or want to become pregnant.

Some side effects may include:

Trolling

Idiocy

Mass Hysteria

Bowel Discomfort

Heart Palpitations

Vomiting

Nudity

Sparkling Vampirism

Nerd Stats

Swirly Eyes

Uncontrollable Eroticism

Rage

Photo Posting

and ERA

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm not saying that "it's all good", obviously it's more fun/satisfying/profitable/whatever to "win it all", but...it's the whole "if you don't win it all it don't mean squat" mentality that is fallacious. That Mariner team winning 116 games, that was "meaningless"? I hardly think so. The Buffalo Bills that went to four Super Bowls in four years but never won one, hey, people want to call that "meaningless", be my guest, just pardon me if I think it's a foolish notion to not applaud that level of accomplishment. You gotta have one helluva team to do that.

Of course, the distance between "it don't mean a thing if you don't get a ring" and "any way you can make a bigger profit, go for it" isn't really all that far, but...never mind that.

In the meantime, any time any team or individual grows in ability, character, mental sharpness, whatever you can do in a competitive endeavor, it's not without meaning, win or lose.

Beside the whole "championship" construct is more or less arbitrary. If the World Series was best-of-nine like it was originally, that could give us a whole different landscape as far as who was a "winner" and who was a "loser". Super Bowl? One stinkin' game, an if On Any Given Sunday, then....what, exactly is the "meaning"? NBA Playoffs? Please... NHL? Hey it's hockey. Whatever.

It can mean a thing if you don't get the ring. It should. Believe the lie at your own risk.

Again, I think J.H. meant it only in the context of taking too much pride in a team running up an amazing W-L record. Rightly or wrongly, a team that wins a ton of games but fails to win the championship tends to be forgotten, or remembered primarily (as those Bills teams are, or the Vikings teams of the 1970s) for never having gone all the way. Nobody's season is utterly meaningless, no matter how many games they win or lose. But I'd go along with the notion that a claim to being the best team in MLB rings pretty hollow if you don't win the World Series--especially given that you have to win three intense/high-pressure series to pull off the whole thing, a serious test of any team's mettle. It doesn't mean that your season was meaningless (hey, ask me about the 2001 Yankees! ^_^ ), but it does (in my eyes) invalidate any aspiration to be judged as the top team of the year.

On the A.J. Burnett page, here's another interesting stat bouncing around the Internets tonight:

A.J. Burnett hasn't beaten an AL club with a winning record since April 13. That club was the Baltimore Orioles (6-3 then, 41-72 since).

Also, according to the PSA round-up, in terms of IP and ER given up, this was the worst start of A.J.'s career.

Right now I'd say NY's looking at a postseason rotation of C.C., Hughes, Nova, and either Garcia or Colon. Yankee fans have to hope that Hughes' recent success continues and that one of the two reclamation projects (Garcia and Colon) has enough gas in the tank to last the rest of the season. (In Colon's case, the signs are not promising.)

EDIT: in the postgame Girardi evidently teed off on the media, saying that he and A.J. were both mad about the ump's call on a pitch to Mauer that would have ended the second inning if it had been called a strike, and not mad at each other. I hope that's the case; there's enough drama floating around A.J. as it is, without adding a conflict with the manager to it.

EDIT 2: Hmmm, not sure I'm buying it: video of Girardi pulling Burnett

Joe says he went into the clubhouse to view the ump's call on the last pitch to Mauer (which looked like a ball to me anyway).

Edited by ghost of miles

Dan: looking good for Wakefield finally picking up #200 tonight?

Yikes--did I put the jinx on him? Man, what just happened in the Boston-KC game? Boston was up 4-1 last I checked going into the bottom of the 6th, and now they're down 9-4.

I'm hoping to get a classic Dan rant out of this. Hopefully, he won't let us down.

It doesn't mean that your season was meaningless (hey, ask me about the 2001 Yankees! ^_^ ), but it does (in my eyes) invalidate any aspiration to be judged as the top team of the year.

"Top team of the year" (or decade, or century, or whatever), that's....really not as meaningful as the culture of marketing makes it out to be. Of course, having a "championship season" is cool, and is certainly nothing to dismiss, hell, be proud of that shit, ya' know, but...sometimes the effort that loses is more noble, more heroic, more real, more... valuable (although not in the marketplace) than the one that wins. So if you get "the ring", hey, cool, after all, it is the goal of every competitive effort to deliver a superior performance. But it ain't necessarily always the "ultimate accomplishment" that wins. Sometimes a better effort falls short of being.the superior performance, and the day that we as a society devalue, or even undervalue that, is the day....oh, wait, that's day's already come, so....there it is.

Winners and losers, baby, winners and losers. Let's hear it for the winners!

OTOH, sometime there's nothing to a failed effort except pure, massive, raw, untempered SUCKING OF DONKEY DICKS..

Witness the Orioles, who take a two run lead into the bottom of the twelveth against the Angels, facing the bottom three of the Halo's order. Just one inning of a sane, sensible, reasonably competent demonstration of professional caliber baseball playing by the O's keeps the game in the Win column for them, and Rangers fans will wake up in the morning sending crackles to Anaheim in a united gesture of thanks for helping us out.

Plate swept, commercials over, the Orioles, in seemingly rapid-fire order, proceed to::

1. Give up a leadoff single
  2. Hit the next batter
  3. Make a throwing error (third baseman) on a sac bunt attempt that leaves everybody safe & lets a run in
  4. Give up an infield single (involving the same third baseman's hands) that refills the bases
  5. Give up a bases-loaded walk (the tying run scores, bases are still loaded)
  6. Change pitchers! Already?
  7. Allow the game-winning sac fly that wins the game for the Angels
So yeah, under no conditions is there an "Success in failure" lesson to be learned here, other than that if you're lucky enough to be on the winning side of that defilement, just keep your laughs and giggle to yourself. Please!

If Burnett is in the starting rotation after tonight's outing, someone has lost their mind.

Yes, the only thing worse than paying a pitcher $16 million a year to warm the bench is paying him $16 million a year to put games out of reach for you before the second inning's over.

Why does it matter, and why do you care??? The Steinbrenners do not know the meaning of the word "budget". They will always continue to pay as much as it takes to win.

The won/loss record nowadays is tricky with the unbalanced schedules and inter-league play where some teams have regular rivals on the extremes of winning & losing. For instance the Mets always face the Yankees, whereas the Cardinals get the Royals. At the moment the Rangers are very happy to have extra games vs. the Astros, although that was a bad thing not that long ago.

One day maybe the Mariners will win a World Series (or hell, get to one.) And while having a 116 win team be "one & done" was crushingly sad, I sincerely doubt that winning a title one day will better than this moment.

post-377-0-76215100-1313944664_thumb.jpg

The '95 ALDS victory over the Yanks in one of the most epic playoff series of all-time, having Edgar knock in The Kid for the win! Oh what the hell, I've posted it before, but who can see this enough? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8yrc7xUss&playnext=1&list=PL9388AE42E9A6A2B1

Dave Niehaus - Not Fade Away

Congrats to the Tribe for having an interesting season, which is now essentially over. Can they hold off the ChiSox?

Congrats to the Rockies for completely fleecing the Tribe out of their two best pitching prospects in exchange for the highly overrated Ubaldo Jimenez. Why did the Tribe get less for Cliff Lee or CC Sabathia than they turned over for this fraud. [Yes, Ubaldo is more than a half season rental, but so was Clifford.] (...maybe more rant later)

If Burnett is in the starting rotation after tonight's outing, someone has lost their mind.

Yes, the only thing worse than paying a pitcher $16 million a year to warm the bench is paying him $16 million a year to put games out of reach for you before the second inning's over.

Why does it matter, and why do you care??? The Steinbrenners do not know the meaning of the word "budget". They will always continue to pay as much as it takes to win.

?? Not sure that's as true as it used to be, and not sure what it has to do with my remark about A.J., which concerns the notion that his high salary makes NY hesitant to pull him from the rotation.

Highlight from today's game against the Twins: Curtis Granderson hits the first-ever inside-the-park home run at Target Field.

?? Not sure that's as true as it used to be, and not sure what it has to do with my remark about A.J., which concerns the notion that his high salary makes NY hesitant to pull him from the rotation.

Highlight from today's game against the Twins: Curtis Granderson hits the first-ever inside-the-park home run at Target Field.

Granderson gets the HR because he hit the ball and RAN immediately, no posing no jive, hit and hustle.

I nearly mentioned in my earlier link to Granderson that he's all but made me forget how much I was looking forward to seeing Austin Jackson (the main prospect the Yanks gave up in their trade to Detroit for Granderson) hold down centerfield for NY... his walkoff throw against the Tribe today brings back that lingering regret:

Jackson guns down runner at plate

Glad that AJ is finding such success in Motor City.

Or, in Burnett's case, pay as much as it takes to lose. ^_^

Nice series win for your Columbian District over the Phillies. Walk off grand slam Friday, walk off HBP Sunday. Blowout Saturday by the Phils.

Nats will be natsty(get it? :rolleyes: ) sooner, rather than later...they have played the Braves tough for years, now the Phils are having trouble beating them...

Congrats to the Tribe for having an interesting season, which is now essentially over. Can they hold off the ChiSox?

Congrats to the Rockies for completely fleecing the Tribe out of their two best pitching prospects in exchange for the highly overrated Ubaldo Jimenez. Why did the Tribe get less for Cliff Lee or CC Sabathia than they turned over for this fraud. [Yes, Ubaldo is more than a half season rental, but so was Clifford.] (...maybe more rant later)

He really hasn't been the same since the all star break last year...don't know what the problem is. He was babied by the Rockies. (perhaps too much?) He used to throw an easy 99 MPH fastball, now it's more 95-96, which of course should be plenty fast, if it wasn't straight. He had movement on everything it seemed.

He is still just 27...

The won/loss record nowadays is tricky with the unbalanced schedules and inter-league play where some teams have regular rivals on the extremes of winning & losing. For instance the Mets always face the Yankees, whereas the Cardinals get the Royals. At the moment the Rangers are very happy to have extra games vs. the Astros, although that was a bad thing not that long ago.

One day maybe the Mariners will win a World Series (or hell, get to one.) And while having a 116 win team be "one & done" was crushingly sad, I sincerely doubt that winning a title one day will better than this moment.

post-377-0-76215100-1313944664_thumb.jpg

The '95 ALDS victory over the Yanks in one of the most epic playoff series of all-time, having Edgar knock in The Kid for the win! Oh what the hell, I've posted it before, but who can see this enough? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8yrc7xUss&playnext=1&list=PL9388AE42E9A6A2B1

Dave Niehaus - Not Fade Away

Well, sign Prince Fielder, and some bopper in the the outfield (is there such a beast this offseason?) and you guys should be able to compete again...

Edited by BERIGAN

Besides, as I have stated numerous times before, the NL West is a very competitive division. May I further remind the NL West has had teams in the WS five times in the last 15 years...and won it all, twice? Add to that the WC has come out of the NL West several times in that same time span.

And the NL East has 8 pennants and 4 titles in that span. I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive over a simple remark "does anyone want to win the NL West?" as the "does anyone want to win..." part is a common saying when the contending teams in a division both are experiencing short losing streaks or losing in dramatic fashion.

We have a "history" in this area, JH.

Besides, I'm a Phillies hater now. Remember?

Grrrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak