2011 MLB Season

In spite of all this, though....there are so many things about this team that are about ,,,this far from clicking and coming together, and when they do, they will be grand.

Cruz may have to join Hamilton on the DL but like you get at, as long as you can get pitching like tonight some of those games may go your way while the big bats heal.

I wasn't expecting anything fun & winning at all this year and the M's have done imitations of the Cubs August swoon with better teams than this, but to be hanging around in early May is better than I expected. What the hell, I'm even going to pretend that maybe the winning can extend beyond that. :crazy:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In spite of all this, though....there are so many things about this team that are about ,,,this far from clicking and coming together, and when they do, they will be grand.

Cruz may have to join Hamilton on the DL but like you get at, as long as you can get pitching like tonight some of those games may go your way while the big bats heal.

I wasn't expecting anything fun & winning at all this year and the M's have done imitations of the Cubs August swoon with better teams than this, but to be hanging around in early May is better than I expected. What the hell, I'm even going to pretend that maybe the winning can extend beyond that. :crazy:

Well, I guess some of us "real" :P baseball fans like to see other teams get to have fun too! Cleveland 21-9 and in 1st? Very cool! Royals 17-14, and in second in the same division??? Also way cool! Pittsburgh 15-16??? Still cool! Marlins 19-11, ahead of the Braves??? Umm, boy if there ever was a team rip for contraction! :g

Heh...Onion writer should have saved this for when Blanton is back off the DL.

Hey J.H., did you happen to notice that the stick a fork in him, he's done, Raul Ibanez has raised his B.A. went from .154, to .214 after going 8 for 12 in the past 3 games, including 2 homers??? :P

Heh...Onion writer should have saved this for when Blanton is back off the DL.

Hey J.H., did you happen to notice that the stick a fork in him, he's done, Raul Ibanez has raised his B.A. went from .154, to .214 after going 8 for 12 in the past 3 games, including 2 homers??? :P

Yes I did. I think it's just a blip on over-the-hill radar though. I mean even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, right?

Oh shit! Scott Barry is the ump tonight. I should have known we were doomed with this a-hole calling balls and strikes.

From Wiki....

On August 19, 2010, Barry, working home plate in a game between the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, ejected Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, a 2009 All-Star, Gold Glover, and Silver Slugger winner, for tossing his bat after a strikeout. He followed by ejecting manager Jim Riggleman for defending Zimmerman.[6] Zimmerman later claimed that he was frustrated for striking out, but that "Barry believed the bat and helmet tossing... was directed at the umpire".[7] It was the second consecutive night with a Nationals ejection by Barry, as he had tossed 14-time All-Star catcher Iván Rodríguez on August 18 for disputing a check-swing strike call.[8]

Less than a week later, on August 24, Barry ejected Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, a three-time All-Star and the 2006 National League MVP, in a 16-inning game against the Houston Astros. With two outs in the bottom of the 14th inning, Barry ruled that Howard had swung at two strikes on check-swings with two outs. Howard stared down the third-base line toward Barry after the first call, after which Barry mimicked Howard's gestures;[9] the player tossed his bat toward the dugout after the second, in which "[it] appeared as though Howard was able to check his swing",[10] leading Barry to eject him. Barry also ejected Ross Gload, who was on the disabled list, for arguing from the dugout.[11] The Phillies, out of bench players, brought in starting pitcher Roy Oswalt to play left field after moving regular outfielder Raúl Ibáñez to Howard's position.[11] Asked to comment both after the game and after the August 25 contest, both Barry and Sam Holbrook claimed that Major League Baseball restricted them from making comments; however, the league confirmed that no such rule exists.[12]

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Okay quiz time. Your pitcher has thrown 97 pitches through 6 innings and he's due to bat 2nd in the bottom of the 6th. Oh and your team is trailing 3-0 and getting no hit. Do you keep your pitcher in the game and let him bat or do you hit for him??

Lee has 16 strike outs through 7 innings tonight. If it hadn't been for for Rollins' error(which inexplicably was ruled a hit) he could be pitching a shutout right now.

You want to get grossed out? Take the annual salary of Alex Rodriquez, Mark Texiera and Derek Jeter and divide it by 162, the number of games in a season. Then, multiply that by the number of games they've played so far this year and divide that by the total number of hits these three have accumulated through the games of May 5th. If I'm doing my sums correctly, the Yanks have paid these three guys $458,229 per hit in 2011.

Edited by Dave James

You want to get grossed out? Take the annual salary of Alex Rodriquez, Mark Texiera and Derek Jeter and divide it by 162, the number of games in a season. Then, multiply that by the number of games they've played so far this year and divide that by the total number of hits these three have accumulated through the games of May 5th. If I'm doing my sums correctly, the Yanks have paid these three guys $458,229 per hit in 2011.

It's a conundrum all right, Dave. A-Rod got off to a great start, but he hasn't been the same since that oblique injury. Texiera has hit well for power, and at least he hasn't had quite as miserable a beginning as he had last year. As for Jeter, the Yankees'"hardline" negotiating stance is starting to look rather generous, isn't it? I'm also concerned about Posada, who's knocked out half a dozen homers but is currently batting in the vicinity of .150; not exactly the kind of offensive production you like to see from your DH. Thank God for Curtis Granderson, eh?

With all that, we're still 18-12 after tonight, which is much better than I thought we'd be--especially if you had told me last November that (1) we'd fail to sign Cliff Lee (2) Andy Pettitte would retire and (3) Phil Hughes would not only fail to return to April-May 2010 form, but would be out of the rotation for an indefinite period.

Still, dropping three in a row to Detroit in such lousy fashion did a nice job of revitalizing my pessimism!

Dave, also wanted to add about Granderson: especially glad to see him doing so well this season, as he seems to be a genuinely nice, very likable person. (Quite the charities guy too, from what I understand, even by MLB player standards.) He's also been a great asset in centerfield, that's for sure... between him and Gardner in left, a lot of potential hits have turned into outs this year and last.

Nice account here of the Rays' Brandon Guyer hitting a home run in his first major league at-bat in Baltimore last night. His wife was rushing to the game from her gig as a sports anchor in DC and was in the parking lot listening to the game on the radio when he came to the plate.

Bullpen traded some balls to get the HR ball back from a Durham fan who snagged it.

Edited by papsrus

Okay quiz time. Your pitcher has thrown 97 pitches through 6 innings and he's due to bat 2nd in the bottom of the 6th. Oh and your team is trailing 3-0 and getting no hit. Do you keep your pitcher in the game and let him bat or do you hit for him??

Lee has 16 strike outs through 7 innings tonight. If it hadn't been for for Rollins' error(which inexplicably was ruled a hit) he could be pitching a shutout right now.

Sounds like ol' Charlie had a bout of Bobby Coxxistis, for which there is no known cure....

Heck of a pitchers duel last night, eh what???

Now I a really, REALLY excited to see 20 year old Julio Teheran make his debut tonight, against the Phils...if we are to believe the hype, he's the next Pedro Martinez, but that can't really be possible, can it???

Almost as hard to believe is the braves, the team no free agent short of D. Lowe would consider playing for,(And the Braves HAD to sign someone, we were so without decent starters)now have so very many good-great starters, there is no place for them! I know, just jinxed them, but we have guys like Teheran, Mike Minor...in the minors, the kid we got from the Yankees(can't think of his name) is supposed to be almost as good as Teheran, Kris Medlin will likely be back from TJ later this year, and won't have a starters job it appears!

A gratifying win tonight by the Rangers, but, really - did it have to be that hard? I don't think so. Derek Holland, who started out looking like he's mostly been looking lately, gets staked to a plush five run lead after two, then takes the mound for the third and suddenly loses the strike zone, never to get it back? HUH? To roughly quote Jo Stafford, what made you think that was a good decision?

Anyway...

Bright side - Feliz back, looking sharp, Julio Bourbon starting to look good at the plate, Muchael Young not being a defensive liability at second base (if I'm the still-anemic Ian Kinsler, I'm maybe wondering if I don't become tradeable for some pitching come That Time Of Year), Elvis's defense back on track, and the offense finally taking advantage of opportunities, avoiding the possibility of becoming a .500 team by EOB tomorrow. At best a "moral victory", that. At best.

Down side - Cruz on 14 day DL, Ogando uncertain (last I heard) for tomorrow due to a blister. That sucks. Ogando has the skills, just needs the conditioning, and with his pitch count, he's getting it on the job. But if not him tomorrow, who? Dave Bush? Really?

Yeah, possibly. Bush vs CC. Yippee!!!

Moral victory indeed--they blew a 5-0 lead, then immediately tagged the Yanks' bullpen for two runs after Swisher had tied it all up. Plus you guys nailed 14 hits total off us. In the meantime, outside of the occasional sputter here or there, the Yankees' offense continues to be suddenly less than daunting. How long, for instance, do we keep Posada at DH if he maintains his sub-.150 batting average? Jesus Montero may be coming up sooner rather than later (just one option if Posada doesn't find a better groove, though I think Joe Girardi's going to wait a long time before benching Jorge).

Moral victory indeed--they blew a 5-0 lead...

Yeah, see, that's the part that never should have happened. If you were watching the game, you know what I mean. Derek Holland has a lot of potential, and has really been developing it nicely over the last few starts. To take that next step, he needed to go out there and seal the deal by throwing strikes, pitching to contact, in general, just pitching like you know you got it in the bag as long as you don't fuck up.So what does this motherfucker promptly proceed to do? Lose the f-in strike zone. Completely. It's not like he was making his pitches and the Yankee bats were too strong for him. He had them. No, this cat just loses it, all at once, throws almost 50 pitches in that 3rd (he was just a little over 20 for the first two), gives up four, and then walk Posada to lead off the 4th. Where the hell does all that come from? It's "character" more than skill, I think. or if "character" is too judgemental a word in these Days Of Anti-Judgement, let's try the more consequence-neutral "mental focus".

Fortunately, tonight, Wash was not in the mood for character building and yanked his ass outta there, a decision probably made a lot easier by knowing that Feliz was back. Time to win. Boy, was it ever...

I know, he's young, Holland is, and I know that pitching's a bitch. Stuff like this is part of the growth process. Also, stuff like this is what eventually separates real Major League Talent from Major League Interchangeable Parts. I like Derek Holland, the guy is just so sincere and serious about his game, and I hope that whatever he needs to do, whatever hurdle he needs to climb to get there. I just wish he'd hurry up and get it done before my blood pressure activates.

Edited by JSngry

Yeah, Ogando scratche b/c of the blister issue. Tomorrow = Dave Bush v CC Sabbathia. Oh HELL yeah!

Something tells me the 2011 Texas Rangers As Originally Assembled will be totally asskicking in the 25 or so games they actually play together...