DC Jazz Festival in June

If I'm moved to DC by the 10th, I may try and make it to the Heath Brothers.

Looking like my flight may be sometime around the 7th at this point.

I'd especially be interested if there are any local names on the 'progressive' end of the spectrum -- names I wouldn't know -- appearing towards the end of the run of the festival. The very earliest I could be in town is June 2nd, but more likely closer to the 7th, give or take a couple days.

Tom, I think you will like the jazz scene in Richmond, VA. Not far from DC, young, and progressive. Tonight Scott Burton and Scott Clark duo as SCUO, followed by Starlicker (Rob Mazurek, Jason Adasiewicz, John Herndon). Glows In The Dark, Fight The Big Bull, Scott Clark Quartet, Old New Things, UTV, Topknot, Ombak, are other names to catch regularly at The Camel, Commercial Taphouse, or Balliceaux.

I also think you would really like trumpet player John D'Earth. Catch him at Miller's in Charlottesville, VA. I think he'd be right up your alley.

I'd especially be interested if there are any local names on the 'progressive' end of the spectrum -- names I wouldn't know -- appearing towards the end of the run of the festival.

The DC Jazz Festival is definitely not known for being very 'progressive'. This year there is a new element that goes toward that end of the bill:

http://www.capitalbop.com/dcjazzloft/

The dates of the festival are the 1st through 13th, so you may only catch the end of it regardless. The Loft program is strong (the pattern being to pair a national with a local) and it sounds like you may be around for the second weekend of that.

There is a little in town toward the progressive end and some traveling artists that come through. I could list some names but you'll find them represented on the site (usually with some details to get a feel).

Capital Bop is the best place to keep track of everything in town (though the calendar doesn't run that far ahead of time it is all inclusive and thorough).

Full disclosure : I write a few things for them now and then (strictly volunteer and have no financial interest in it - it's just a good resource).

Welcome to DC.

Tom--I don't know when you're wheels down in DC, but I just got a note that Stanley Cowell is playing soon at the Bohemian Caverns. Stanley Cowell!!! Who knew?

Really?? When?? I should get to DC by about the 1st or maybe 2nd weekend in June.

Waiting on tons of stuff yet to be done on our house (by people other than me), so I'm not comfortable buying that plane ticket quite yet. Repainting a significant part of the outside of the house, and some roof repairs - so the weather is a factor too.

When he is going to be at Bohemian? He's at An Die Musik in Baltimore this Sunday.

Bertrand.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing here, a thread on another board I should keep my eye on!

Edited by Rooster_Ties