Amazon Cloud Drive

Neal Pomea

Anyone trying this? Comments on your experience?

I am giving this a try. You start with a measly 20 GB free then have to pay some more for additional space. I will use it to put music on my Motorola (Droid) phone and hopefully play that back in my car.

Right now I think Apple and Amazon are in competition.

They'll have to guard their cloud warehouses like Fort Knox! Don't know if this computing centralized who knows where is really a good idea. Maybe for music files and that's all.

I did it because it was easy and free and so far have just found it to be a pain in the ass. Adds an extra step before you download to your computer and never found a reason to use it on other devices.

Same here and it also knocked my "Amazon Downloader" out of commission. I had to reinstall and didn't choose the Cloud Drive option when offered.

Google Music Beta is free and you get about 150 GB of storage. I'm currently at about 70% uploaded of a 75 GB or so collection. (invitation required at the moment)

What I hope is that one day someone codes an app allowing cloud-to-cloud file transfer. That way you can have really robust backup that allows you to quickly copy stuff from one cloud service to another.

I've been OK with the Amazon cloud drive. It's good for me to have music easily available at work. Less of a hassle than copying files back and forth with a USB drive.

I also haven't uploaded so many albums that the 20GB limit is a problem.

BTW, when you buy an MP3 album from Amazon, you have an option to move straight to the cloud or download.

What I hope is that one day someone codes an app allowing cloud-to-cloud file transfer. That way you can have really robust backup that allows you to quickly copy stuff from one cloud service to another.

Agreed!

It took about 3 hours to upload my 20 GB to the Amazon Cloud. I let Amazon select the music just to see what it would do. Now I am going through and deleting what I don't want on the Cloud, or the stuff that it took from my hard drive and for which it had no indexing information.

(I have digitized a lot of my lp and 45 collection over the years, then when I put some of that stuff on iTunes I took pains to index it all very carefully. But AC took not only iTune, indexed songs but also "unindexed" songs from folders other than iTunes. Now it's a pain to sort and I don't see any way to edit song titles, etc.)

I would call this a product in Beta.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed!

It took about 3 hours to upload my 20 GB to the Amazon Cloud. I let Amazon select the music just to see what it would do. Now I am going through and deleting what I don't want on the Cloud, or the stuff that it took from my hard drive and for which it had no indexing information.

(I have digitized a lot of my lp and 45 collection over the years, then when I put some of that stuff on iTunes I took pains to index it all very carefully. But AC took not only iTune, indexed songs but also "unindexed" songs from folders other than iTunes. Now it's a pain to sort and I don't see any way to edit song titles, etc.)

I would call this a product in Beta.

Do you have a cable connection? On my crappy AT&T DSL, uploading 75 GB took about 2 weeks. The Google software is cool but definitely not without its flaws - there are some annoying bugs involving how it counts the songs you've uploaded, so I had to disable the uploader after finishing uploading everything because it still thinks upload isn't done (even though it is).

I am wondering how robust all these services at handling the following cases:

a) songs whose tags you edit after upload - if I realize that there's a misspelling or whatever and I fix the tags in iTunes, will Google/Amazon recognize the fix and sync it? Or do I have to do everything twice manually?

b) songs I want to re-rip because the first rip is bad. I have a few albums with audible distortion caused by bad rips (probably caused by dust or whatever on the CD), and eventually plan to try ripping them again. If I have already uploaded them to Google/Amazon and re-rip, will the new copy get uploaded, or will Google/Amazon think that since the filenames are the same it doesn't need to upload a new copy?

I am using the Cloud Drive, mostly to store some big anthology box sets where anywhere-access seems to come in handy, and for initial "enjoyment" of my occasional, despised digital music purchases. In comparison to Amazon's other elements of digital music, I like the Cloud Player and the storage locker. I cannot ever make the Amazon Downloader app work seamlessly. Even if I run it in the foreground before I buy, I get a constant request to reinstall. (When I bitch to Amazon, they usually refund the purchase price....) Amazon's music tech seems really weak in comparison to Apple's. The concept of uploading a box set, essentially just to prove ownership, is pathetic. This should be a short competitive battle between Apple and Amazon, unfortunately, because I hate all that iTunes represents, except the parts that pertain to elegant design and a cohesive, high quality system!