Lou Reed & Metallica record album

Shawn

http://www.rollingst...-album-20110615 "A marriage made in heaven," Reed says in his first interview about the project, in the studio lounge during a break. "I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me.' "

Odd? yes. Interesting? Strangely, yes as well. It's just too unique of a pairing for me not to check it out.

Edited by Shawn

I jettisoned pretty much all "image" type bands of this type from my collection around high school. But I've still got a soft spot for the '83 thrash explosion from the west coast, mostly Slayer (LA) and Metallica (SF), scruffy dudes who looked just like their fans and either pissed off or scared parents to death....

That never goes out of style.

Right, but that is not this you know? I guess we wait. There is no middle ground here.

I would imagine Lou Reed pairing up with a noisier band, but I guess that's a pretty trite idea.

Right, sorry, a little digression of my own there. I think I know what you're getting at. Metallica isn't the most "inspiring" band rhythmically anymore (not since Bob Rock got a hold of Lars), but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I assume Reed knows what he's looking for and he has the benefit of working with a group that's been touring pretty much nonstop for the past 3 years, so they should be tight.

Bizarre combinations of musicians that don't appear to have any commonality are at least "curiosities" to me, though whether that turns into actual enjoyment remains to be seen.

From Monday's SF Chronicle gossip column:

And at Tuesday's U2 concert, Bono described a Bay Area dinner the night before as a G-3 summit of U2, Metallica and Green Day, talking about staging a music festival. The venue, The Chronicle's Paolo Lucchesi blogged Thursday, was A16, and there were more than three summiteers. The gathering included Lou Reed, U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr., the Edge, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong and Metallica's Lars Ulrich. After dinner, the movable feast continued at Rye.

Rumor has it that Reed was in Marin last week, recording with Metallica.

I'm hoping we get something like a "Sister Ray" for the 21st Century.

I was thinking the exact same thing!!! I am so psyched about this!

(And FWIW, I thought Death Magnetic was their best album since "Justice." Didn't think they had it in them anymore)

Edited by Big Al

I agree, Death Magnetic was closer to "form" than they've delivered in many years, just a little overlong and badly mastered. Hopefully they won't spend a year in the studio this time, I think the last album was just tinkered with too long.

Rick Rubin is "producing" the next album too (collecting a check and getting wasted by himself somewhere), hopefully the band can soldier on without him (again). laugh.gif

Well, he IS married to Laurie Anderson!

Exactly what I was thinking.

When Almost Famous came out, we saw it & they were in the audience with us too. In the movie, Lester Bangs rants about how Lou sucks as a solo artist, but he was amazing in the VU.

Edited by 7/4

I think Reed aligns himself with whoever wants him as company, he did a project with Laurie Anderson and John Zorn which mostly amounted to a bunch of controversy but to the best of my knowledge little music.

Could not disagree more. I also eagerly look forward to the results of Lou's collaboration with Metallica

• 2 weeks later...