Tools for Installing, Aligning a Cartridge

I have always had someone else install and lineup cartridges. I would use the same cartridge for years and replace the styluses.

I would like to know how easy/difficult it is to install a cartridge and line it up correctly. Also, what sort of tools are needed to do this, and where can I buy them online?

Thanks in advance.

For about 30 years, I've used my Dennesen Soundtracker with good, though never perfect (optimal) result. It doesn't help with VTA. And you'll another device (any of many) to set tracking force. For a more modern source of information on things-vinyl, you might find value at http://www

Edited by Unk

One other thought: if you're thinking of buying a 'table and arm on the internet, consider a local shop instead and letting them do the set up. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but you won't have to buy setup tools or hassle with it. And someday, you'll need "local" help.

One other thought: if you're thinking of buying a 'table and arm on the internet, consider a local shop instead and letting them do the set up. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but you won't have to buy setup tools or hassle with it. And someday, you'll need "local" help.

My gear is not that high end. I have a Pioneer belt drive turntable that I've had forever, but I pay attention to stylus condition, tone arm weight, etc. I just want to be sure I'm lining up the cartridge properly.

You can use a small mirror, lay it on the turntable and lower the stylus slowly (table not turning, of course!). If all the contours of the headshell are parallel to their images, it should be properly adjusted. This method was recommended by the Thorens company back in the late 1970's when I bought my turntable. The upper side of the tomearm should be parallel to the turntabel surface, too. Simple but effective. Besides that you need a small scale to adjust the tonearm's weight - this should be available from a good hifi dealer.

Edited by mikeweil

You can use a small mirror, lay it on the turntable and lower the stylus slowly (table not turning, of course!). If all the contours of the headshell are parallel to their images, it should be properly adjusted. This method was recommended by the Thorens company back in the late 1970's when I bought my turntable. The upper side of the tomearm should be parallel to the turntabel surface, too. Simple but effective. Besides that you need a small scale to adjust the tonearm's weight - this should be available from a good hifi dealer.

Thanks. The weight isn't an issue, only the angle. I'll try this, but I think I'll need adult supervision. It seems confusing.

I used a protractor for many years. It's fiddly and you are never sure it's quite right. For the last ten years or so I used a Rega three point fixing cartridge which takes away some of the guess work. Rega still recommend dealer setup though.