Some AP SACDs now being mastered by Sterling Sound

dreamcatcher_43

Is this a good thing, from a sonics standpoint? I see on RTI's website that Kevin Gray is no longer with AcousTech Mastering, but is now associated with an outfit called Cohearent Mastering. Perhaps this is the reason for the change.

I'm not familiar with the work of George Marino of Sterling Sound. Is he in the same league as Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman?

The titles which are now listed as being mastered by SS include the following:

Cat Stevens - "Tea for the Tillerman"

"Getz/Gilberto"

Ella Fitzgerald - "Like Someone in Love"

Ella Fitzgerald - "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!"

"Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson"

"Ella and Louis"

Johnny Hodges - "Blues A-Plenty"

and many more.

All I know is that Hoffman's increased presence on his forum (he's posting a lot) is an indication that he's got more time on his hands than he used to have.

Rumour has it that he and Kevin Gray no longer work together on remastering projects, but I couldn't get a confirmation.

I was banned from Hoffman's forum last year. I sent him a message on FB asking to be reinstated a while back, and he said that he "...would love to have me back as nobody discusses jazz any more." LOL I'm pretty sure that Hans still discusses jazz there with SOMEBODY. Anyway, he said it was up to the gorts whether I would be reinstated. Naturally, the answer was "no." Personally, I think the worst thing that Steve Hoffman ever did was starting his own website. All the adoration from his "disciples" seems to have changed his personality.

Anyway, I digress. I called Acoustic Sounds and the guy to whom I spoke (not Nate, who seems very cool) obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Time will tell about the Sterling Sound "sound."

All I know is that you'll never get an answer from the Steve Hoffman forums. Every time someone asks what's going on with these SACD reissue programs, especially is you ask if Steve is involved with the Blue Notes, gets their post deleted in short time.

Well, the packaging on all the AP BN SACDs clearly states that the mastering was done by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray at AcousTech mastering. I don't understand why that would be a hot topic for discussion.

Lots of classic rock there.

I was banned from Hoffman's forum last year. I sent him a message on FB asking to be reinstated a while back, and he said that he "...would love to have me back as nobody discusses jazz any more." LOL I'm pretty sure that Hans still discusses jazz there with SOMEBODY. Anyway, he said it was up to the gorts whether I would be reinstated. Naturally, the answer was "no." Personally, I think the worst thing that Steve Hoffman ever did was starting his own website. All the adoration from his "disciples" seems to have changed his personality.

Anyway, I digress. I called Acoustic Sounds and the guy to whom I spoke (not Nate, who seems very cool) obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Time will tell about the Sterling Sound "sound."

Actually, I don't discuss jazz on Hoffman's forum anymore. Most people there aren't really interested in jazz - the only thing most of them seem to care about is "sound", not music. I often get the impression that some people there think they know all about jazz once they've heard a few of Hoffman's jazz remasterings. There's much misinformation on that forum and more or less the only thing I do these days is try and correct some of it. Another thing I don't like about that place is that people often present their opinions as facts; they get angry when asked what they base their "facts" on :)

The only reason I'm still there is that occasionally an interesting thread about CD releases and reissues pops up.

Edited by J.A.W.

...I often get the impression that some people there think they know all about jazz once they've heard a few of Hoffman's jazz remasterings. There's much misinformation on that forum and more or less the only thing I do these days is try and correct some of it. Another thing I don't like about that place is that people often present their opinions as facts; they get angry when asked what they base their "facts" on :)

I see that not much has changed there. Pity.

All I know is that you'll never get an answer from the Steve Hoffman forums. Every time someone asks what's going on with these SACD reissue programs, especially is you ask if Steve is involved with the Blue Notes, gets their post deleted in short time.

Interesting, I have not been following those threads close enough to notice. Or perhaps they are deleted before I even see them!

I still visit SH frequently, as there is a lot of traffic and some knowledgeable people posting. Hans is correct in noting the inordinate focus on sonics (as opposed to the music itself) but the forum is source of a lot of knowledge (or at least opinions) on hi fi equipment.

But I agree there are also some pretty arrogant posters, way too much unquestioning hero worship and a focus on the best sounding masterings that is beyond obsessive. It borders on the hilarious at times. And it does seem like the cabal of "gorts" runs the place kind of like the military junta runs Burma...

Edited by riverrat

Interesting, I have not been following those threads close enough to notice. Or perhaps they are deleted before I even see them!

I still visit SH frequently, as there is a lot of traffic and some knowledgeable people posting. Hans is correct in noting the inordinate focus on sonics (as opposed to the music itself) but the forum is source of a lot of knowledge (or at least opinions) on hi fi equipment.

But I agree there are also some pretty arrogant posters, way too much unquestioning hero worship and a focus on the best sounding masterings that is beyond obsessive. It borders on the hilarious at times. And it does seem like the cabal of "gorts" runs the place kind of like the military junta runs Burma...

A few current and former Hoffman moderators set up the Speakeasy Forum last year and one of them posted there that he saw the Hoffman forum more like a "brand" than a discussion site, or, in other words, just a marketing tool for one person's work (and the companies that person represents). My response was that in that case the Hoffman forum shouldn't present itself as a discussion site, but make clear what it is (a marketing tool) and above all what the limitations are. The discussion can be found here.

A few current and former Hoffman moderators set up the Speakeasy Forum last year and one of them posted there that he saw the Hoffman forum more like a "brand" than a discussion site, or, in other words, just a marketing tool for one person's work (and the companies that person represents). My response was that in that case the Hoffman forum shouldn't present itself as a discussion site, but make clear what it is (a marketing tool) and above all what the limitations are. The discussion can be found here.

Is the Speakeasy Forum anything like SH.tv? Thanks.

Is the Speakeasy Forum anything like SH.tv? Thanks.

Depends on how you would define the Hoffman forum, i.e. what you think it's like. Why don't you pay a visit to the Speakeasy Forum and see for yourself? It's a small forum without much traffic, but occasionally an interesting topic comes up. Hardly any "jazz talk", though, so if you're looking for that you won't find it interesting.

Edited by J.A.W.

Depends on how you would define the Hoffman forum, i.e. what you think it's like. Why don't you pay a visit to the Speakeasy Forum and see for yourself? It's a small forum without much traffic, but occasionally an interesting topic comes up. Hardly any "jazz talk", though, so if you're looking for that you won't find it interesting.

I did join and I have to agree with you: small w/o many posts. Strange that current and former SH.tv gorts would have their own forum.

I did join and I have to agree with you: small w/o many posts. Strange that current and former SH.tv gorts would have their own forum.

Let me put it this way: I get the impression that some of them feel more comfortable there, away from the constraints of the Hoffman forum.

• 5 months later...