BFT #90 Discussion

BillF

Sorry about the late contribution. The first two weeks of the month were taken up with an arranging job which took way too much time for the money involved. The third week I went to New Orleans, and after that I had a houseful of relatives and couldn't think straight. But with just a few days left in the month, I had a couple of hours to devote to BFT 90 today. As usual, I haven't looked at the rest of this thread.

1. Very nice, although I can’t identify anyone. The tenor player seemed to have the most individual voice in this mainstream setting. I liked the metric ambiguity at the beginning of the melody - it took me a few measures to figure out what the time signature was.

2. Not earth-shattering, but good. I like the way the rhythm section listens and responds during the piano solo.

3. Wow – nice! Why don’t I know this recording? It sounds like a young Charlie Rouse and Zoot Sims on tenor, but that seems impossible. Great writing, and everyone’s excellent. I’m looking forward to finding out more about this.

4. Dang – a tune that’s right on the tip of my tongue. It’s very similar to “Nardis,” but it’s not quite the same. Anyway, more nice playing by folks I don’t recognize. The trumpet player has a beautiful cup-muted sound.

5. I’m sure this has been identified by now – it’s “Booby Hatch” by Allen Eager, from 1946. Some pretty impressive bebop playing, even if it’s not totally individual. Young Max Roach sure sounds good.

6. Man, this is great. I was enjoying everyone’s playing, but Coleman Hawkins’ entrance really sent me. The trombonist sounds like Dickie Wells to me. Great Basie-esque rhythm section. It sounds like one of the Buck Clayton jam sessions, down to the studio sound, but it’s not long enough. Beautiful.

7. Someone sure likes Prez. This is good, if kind of derivative. Sounds like it could be Shorty Rogers’ writing, but I don’t really know.

8. A good one – “Claude Reigns” by Charlie Barnet’s bebop band. I like Manny Albam’s writing more than Claude Williamson’s piano playing – not that there’s anything wrong with the latter, it’s just not on the level of Bud Powell, Dodo Marmarosa, or Al Haig from this period. Great piece – enjoyed being reminded of this recording.

9. My wife and I danced to this song at our wedding, but I don’t know this recording. Someone is the harmonic equal of Art Tatum, but I feel that Tatum would have played it flashier. Very good, whoever it is.

10. More solid playing by folks I can’t identify. I’m assuming that the tenor and baritone player are one and the same – if so, I like him better on bari. He takes liberties with the tune, but is it “Jersey Bounce?” Unusual choice for a bebopper.

11. Interesting and unusual choice of tune – it’s a Charlie Parker tune which I believe is called “Segment.” Very well played – I find the pianist more interesting than the alto player, although they’re both very good.

12. Nice “New Testament” Basie groove, although it ain’t the Kid From Red Bank. Nothing wrong with this, but to my ears, nothing that special, either – except maybe for the alto soloist’s fat sound.

13. Another Charlie Parker tune you don’t hear every day – “Relaxin’ at Camarillo.” Again, no ideas as to personnel, but it’s good. The guitar and tenor soloists in particular come up with ideas just unusual enough to lift this above the ordinary. The bassist is also a very good soloist; the pianist does less for me.

I enjoyed your bebop fest - thanks for putting it together.

Late, but to the point! You're the first to identify Track 5 as Allen Eager's "Booby Hatch" from 1946 with Max on drums. First, too, to name Shorty Rogers as composer and arranger on Track 7.

Correct on these, too: Hawkins on Track 6, Claude Williamson soloing with Charlie Barnet's Orchestra on Manny Albam's "Claude Reigns" on Track 8, "Jersey Bounce" on #10 and your assumption that tenor and bari are same player, Parker's "Segment" and "Relaxin' at Camarillo" on #11 and #13, respectively.

Many thanks, Jeff!

Still unsolved are the orchestra on #2, who's playing on #4, the leader/group on #7 and the pianist on #9 .

Edited by BillF

Dang! Of course that's Benny Golson on #3. Feelin' stupid, but at least I got one nobody else knew yet.

Golson it is!

On a similar note to Jeff's last comment, how the hell did I miss Hawk? (relistening now) Keee-RIST! I should have to turn my headphones over, sit in a corner and THINK about what I've done. :unsure:

:lol: