"Burning With Bud: Bud Powell Live 1944-53"

ghost of miles

Posting this on Bud Powell's birthday--a program highlighting his radio and concert performances from the 1940s and early 50s, when he was in his unadulterated prime:

Burning With Bud: Bud Powell Live 1944-53

You can hear him doing a duet of "West End Blues" with Cootie Williams, a Williams small-group broadcast of Mary Lou Williams' "Roll 'Em," with the 5nd Street All Stars at the Royal Roost and at Carnegie Hall as a leader in the late 1940s, and much more.

Edited by ghost of miles

Posting this on Bud Powell's birthday--a program highlighting his radio and concert performances from the 1940s and early 50s, when he was in his unadulterated prime:

Burning With Bud: Bud Powell Live 1944-53

You can hear him doing a duet of "West End Blues" with Cootie Williams, a Williams small-group broadcast of Mary Lou Williams' "Roll 'Em," with the 5nd Street All Stars at the Royal Roost and at Carnegie Hall as a leader in the late 1940s, and much more.

Great, David! Just in time for this evening's listening! :tup

Where can I find that duet with Cootie Williams?

It's on the Bud Powell Mythic Sound CD EARLY YEARS OF A GENIUS: 1944-48. A few years ago Fantasy started to repackage and reissue all of the Mythic Sound material, but they seem to have stopped after 3 CDs... result of the Concord sale, perhaps?

Allen, I think the Cootie/Bud track on DEVILIN' TUNE is actually "Floogie Boo."

For later live Bud (and I'm definitely contemplating a sequel), has anybody else heard this?

Bud Powell Live in Geneva 1962

He really does sound like he's back in his prime on this one--a claim you often see about post-1953 Bud recordings, and certainly sometimes true, but damn, he really is in fine form on this one and does sound like he's playing pretty much at a 1944-53 level.

it's weird, I could swear I used that version of West End Blues somewhere - though let me add, for later Bud that this is as good as Geneva, and in significantly better sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Lausanne-1962-Bud-Powell/dp/B00004TGOV/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1317153770&sr=1-1

it's Bud live in Lausanne, 1962 - I actually mastered it for a Japanese company and have a LOT of copies (they didn't believe in cash),

Check out Ethan Iverson's Bud Powell posts for some very interesting reading about late Bud (he recommends the Geneva gig, and also the one from Lausanne in the same year). It's on Do the Math (still can't insert links, but Google will find it for you). He's refreshingly appreciative of the best of late Powell without being uncritical.

Bud could still play - I wouldn't say he was '40s sharp, but there's plenty there. Years ago a collector in Europe sent me ANOTHER tape of that era Powell, which was even better than those 2, but I don't think it ever got issued. But I don't remember much else about it, unfortunately. The best discussion of this time, musically, was in Dan Morgenstern's notes to one of the reissues of Portrait of Thelonious, if you can find it somewhere.

• 1 year later...