Tim Buckley - Original Album Series

felser

Warner/Rhino is releasing one of those 5-CD original album series sets on Tim Buckley. I don't get many of them despite the low price, due to no remastering and cheesy packaging, but this one includes his long out of print Blue Afternoon album (along with his first four albums), and Blue Afternoon is worth the price of admission for that one alone. And his first two albums are great, if you don't already have them. His "Goodbye and Hello" is my all-time favorite rock album (I have an excellent remastered twofer of the first two albums I'll keep, but this set will enable me to pass along my "Lorca" and "Happy Sad", plus recoup "Blue Afternoon", which I sold for a small fortune on ebay many years ago because I needed the cash).

Tim Buckley - Original Album Series

Spectacular remaster of first two Tim Buckley albums

Edited by felser

I prefer the adventurousness of LORCA and STARSAILOR, but BLUE AFTERNOON creates a wonderful atmosphere (I also think it contains some of Buckley's strongest songs: "Happy Time", "I Must Have Been Blind", "Blue Melody", "Cafe".) "Simpler" material, in some sense (IIRC, Larry Becket did not contribute any lyrics to this project), but Buckley probably never sang with quite this much grace.

Yep. The vinyl was plentiful.

I have all this stuff already but couldn't possibly recommend it more highly.

I also think this one is essential:

cover_691612112009.jpg

The early demos are beautiful ("A Song For You" stretches out wonderfully to six minutes) and the 1973 material is actually listenable, unlike the eventual LPs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was visiting Berlin, and SATURN (an electronics store kinda like Best Buy) was selling the Original Album Series of Tim Buckley for 10 Euros (about $14). They had a ton of the Tim Buckley. Guess there's some overstocked sets. Carole King and a few others were 10 Euros too.