Batshit Crazy Sunshine Pop

JSngry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually quite fond of that Cowsill's track. And they did some other fine records also. And Susan Cowsill went on to do some other very interesting work later on.

Right........I saw Susan performing in Austin a couple of years ago. She was good.

Continental Drifters track, featuring Cowsill and ex-Bangles Vicki Peterson, and they also co-wrote it. Cowsill takes the vocal on the second verse. Group also includes ex-DB's Peter Holsapple (he and Cowsill were married), and ex-Dream Syndicate Mark Walton along with other very talented New Orleans musicians. The failure of this group to achieve popularity in the 90's shows how far gone the pop music industry is. Realize that this drifts continents away fro the Sunshine Pop string, but it shows what adorable little Susan Cowsill grew up into.

Edited by felser

I'm actually quite fond of that Cowsill's track. And they did some other fine records also. And Susan Cowsill went on to do some other very interesting work later on.

Right........I saw Susan performing in Austin a couple of years ago. She was good.

Continental Drifters track, featuring Cowsill and ex-Bangles Vicki Peterson, and they also co-wrote it. Cowsill takes the vocal on the second verse. Group also includes ex-DB's Peter Holsapple (he and Cowsill were married), and ex-Dream Syndicate Mark Walton along with other very talented New Orleans musicians. The failure of this group to achieve popularity in the 90's shows how far gone the pop music industry is. Realize that this drifts continents away fro the Sunshine Pop string, but it shows what adorable little Susan Cowsill grew up into.

Great tune! I never heard of this group - the individuals, yes - but not the group. Sounds Bangle-ish, but better. FWIW, the Bangles ARE back together and touring.

Well, the combination of "great tune", and "never heard of the group" sure makes my point! You can get their three CD's used for less than $1.00 each on Amazon, and I highly recommend all three of them if you like the sounds of this cut. I have all three and love them.

Well, the combination of "great tune", and "never heard of the group" sure makes my point! You can get their three CD's used for less than $1.00 each on Amazon, and I highly recommend all three of them if you like the sounds of this cut. I have all three and love them.

I found them on eMusic, too. Will definitely check them out.

Well that's two Spanky & Our Gang cuts, so...here's mine...the flip side of "Lazy Day". It's Byrd, not Bird, btw...the arrangement and the lyrics are both pretty batshit crazy. It's like one of those Audrey Hepburn movies where she's supposed to be 19 but you know in real life she's 38 and she falls for some guy who's supposed to be 55 but you know in real life he's 97, and they fall in love and it's supposed to be touching but in real life you know it would be just damn weird, that's pretty batshit crazy right there, that they would make a movie like that and people would buy into, but hey, batshit crazy is the name of this game, as is Sunshine Pop, so I guess..here we go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqQKu0bnZQ

Here's another one by them...not even sure this is Sunshine Pop as much as it is soft jazz...whatever! These guys had skills.

Love the double-neck!

Definitely a little batshit.........for a Paul Simon tune.

This one by the Cyrkle even moreso with the sitar and tack piano. To me it's the much superior (and much crazier) record. Went top 20 on merit in 1967, would sink without a trace today.

Batshit identity crisis!

Happy Hippie? Beatnik? Brit Mod?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klYXLevbgq8

Bubblegum. Lemon Pipers actually hated that record. I sort of liked it, in a guilty pleasure way, and even sort of liked the followup, "Jelly Jungle of Orange Marmalade", but hated the next one, "Rice is Nice". I was 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGS54R2YVFw

Here you go, Russell. It's the entire URL in the [ media ][ /media ] tags.

I loved these guys right from the get go, but I can't imagine there's ever been a back-up band that looked more unhip than The Dreamers. Every one of these guys looks like at one time they might have made a living selling encyclopedias door to door.

I do enjoy me some British Invasion stuff! Not sure how far beyond classic "Sunshine Pop" strictures we are going (someone already went to mid-70's proto-disco with "Afternoon Delight", but that was a fun period. The Searchers were probably my favorites, even their album cuts tended to be really good. And I'm willing to say it publicly, I love "Ferry Cross The Mersey" !

Edited by felser