BFT 93 discussion

mikeweil

Shit, just lost my whole post for disc 1... ah, no... some of it I loved, some I didn't, some piqued my interest even though I didn't really like it... oh, crap. So sorry, Mike! Not sure I can repeat the listen within useful time (and I don't even have disc 2 on my ipod yet). Ah no, hate when this happens! (Why doesn't this site reconstruct partial posts when you hit to forward and back buttons - other forums do!)

I think rather depends on the browser settings whether it reconstructs text typed into forms or not - I had to learn this lesson, too, that's why I type the answers offline ... ;) ...

Anyway, don't wreck your nerves, type some comments when you find the time or after I posted the answers - maybe I will have the first batch done before, the second after Xmas.

there you go - CD1 again - just squeezed in another listen:

#1 - Not my favorite voice, I'm afraid, but plenty of character her. The opening is pretty strong, but then the whole thing goes off in a bit too smooth a direction for my liking.

#2 - Well, I'm not crying "sacrilege", but this is a tune that I like quite a bit (favorite might be Sonny's version on "Saxophone Colossus") and I don't get this version here at all. Wrong tempo, wrong phrasing with these bent and extended notes... then underneath that pseudo-happening nervous beat that's not going anywhere except to tell us: hey, I can pull drum'n'bass beats as well as your drum machine... well, sure it's more lively, but I don't get this one, sorry. Also the alto sounds somewhat generic, and the voice... well, maybe I'm totally off here anyway, but it sounds like there's a bit too much of everything in here.

#3 - Beautiful voice here, but weird lyrics, kind of... very nice mood though. Nice post-Trane tenor there (not Pharoah in a more restrained moment, is it?) - and very good bass and drums, too! And piano and guitar mix perfectly well, too - this is smooth in a good way! Enjoy it a lot, even though the lyrics are a bit... well, whatever, "joy gives you peace"... sure. No need for angels here ;)

#4 - This here's nice! Like that voice a lot, no antics, just straight out it goes... nice song, good accompaniment with particularly good bass, very laid-back. Wonderful! "Beauty's only an illusion"... does this happen to be Norma Winstone doing "The Peacock"? Great one!

#5 - Starts out rather nice - rubato, Ornette-ish mood... but then that yucky guitar enters. Horrible, sorry. Still the mood is nice, the voice good (too much vibrato though, for my taste). But can someone please lock up that guitar player in the fridge or wherever I don't have to hear him any more? Guitar fits better under the good sax solo, but to me, it doesn't fit the moody atmosphere that the singer creates.

#6 - This one's fun! Good scatting by a guy steeped in bebop and able to get through the chords, as far as I can tell... good groove, nice brushes from the drummer, good time from the bass. Good solos by the piano and very nice, old-fashioned tenor, with some swagger and a hint of a honk now and then... ah, and the bass gets some, too. Stomping good fun!

#7 - Love the idea: voice, two basses, drums - great line-up! And nice mood, too! Interesting, cool-ish singer with good pacing. Ha, got it! Thanks to the second listen! That's Joni, yes? Wonderful! With Wayne on soprano? Beautiful soprano, bit of a weirdish story told in the lyrics, but never mind, it has a nice flow and the voice is wonderful, love me some Joni! Hum, but where's this from? It's not from "Miles of Aisles", it seems (one of the few early Joni albums I don't have yet) - is it not Joni, after all, just someone doing her song? If so, all the more impressive, how it bears her stamp! Well no, it's not Joni... I'm intrigued here!

#8 - This starts out gorgeously! Love the idea to do "Caravan" in a slow-motion way... but as I was afraid, it does speed up eventually - though not as bas as I feared, just medium-up, not the speeding rushed tempo it's so often done in. Still, the mood gets lost a bit during the instrumental parts. (I made a mention of Shirley Horn in my original/lost post... adore her very much, and especially her ability to pull these slow-motion tempos... would have loved this much more if it had stuck to the original tempo.)

#9 - Nice one, "Blues in the Night" by some male singer with what, a Fender rhodes? Very cool sound from that electric piano, and good singer, too. Would love to hear him kickin' with a full rhythm section, too!

#10 - Now this one is definitely not my favorite again... not sure if this is a pipe organ or all synthetic stuff, the soprano is played with some ugly octave device or processed in some way... not for me, not at all, I'm afraid. But still the layers of sound leave me puzzled in a not only negative way... guess I'd have to hear more of this.

#11 - This one's nice enough, but there are some of these nervous beats again that don't really go too far... not sure what to think of it. Doesn't bug me at all, but doesn't drag me in either, just goes along...

#12 - Good opening, but too much vibrato for my taste... otherwise very nice voice though. But too much... "attitude".

Thanks a lot, Mike! Interesting, even though some tracks are really not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the second time around, Ubu! Soem of your tastes are just the opposite of Jim R's ... very interesting.

I'll be out of town for a few days now, just keep going if you want, I'll be back. Merry Xmas!

#3 - Beautiful voice here, but weird lyrics, kind of... very nice mood though. Nice post-Trane tenor there (not Pharoah in a more restrained moment, is it?) - and very good bass and drums, too! And piano and guitar mix perfectly well, too - this is smooth in a good way! Enjoy it a lot, even though the lyrics are a bit... well, whatever, "joy gives you peace"... sure. No need for angels here

Wait 'til you got children ... :P