Jack Bruce's "Things we Like"

skeith

I happen to be a big Jack Bruce fan, too. He's done a lot of really unusual and interesting albums over the years. He's done some crap, too, but I gotta give him props for the variety of settings that he is willing to put himself into. I also think he's a creative songwriter.

Here's some news about him that I only heard about recently. It's off of his web site (www.jackbruce.com):

"Jack's health continues to improve after his successful liver transplant surgery. Jack and his family wish all their friends and supporters warmest seasons greetings and a Happy New Year 2004.

To receive so many kind wishes has helped Jack greatly with his recovery. Jack is at home and cooked Christmas dinner as always for his family!"

Didn't buy it back then for lack of funds, but sure would like to hear that once again, AFAIR it sure swings. Bruce is on acoustic here, and isn't it Ginger Baker, McLaughlin and Dick Heckstall-Smith? I do remember there was another album under Graham Bond's name with the same rhythm section.

It's a shame Universal didn't give Bruce the box set treatment on occasion of his recent birthday. One of the more important substantial rock heroes, IMO.

Speaking of the jackbruce.com website, it also mentions that Bruce composed all the songs for Things We Like around the age of 12! Some pretty advanced stuff for a pre-pub. And the session was recorded while Cream still existed.

I agree, it's mostly similar to Johnny Mac's Extrapolation, with, predictably, less emphasis on guitar in favor of the bass. A nice set overall and on the other side of the universe musically from the power blues-rock he, Baker and Clapton were taking the world by storm with at the time.

SS