Brad Mehldau trio and Bill Frisell trio

Alec

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to see the Mehldau trio in March, first time. They're playing a small club here in Paris, which is charging one and a half times their normal cover, plus you have to mail in your check with a self-addressed stamped envelope to get your tickets mailed to you beforehand! What the hell, I figure the chance to see them in a little club is worth it. Let us know how you liked the Mehldau/Frisell double bill!

Wow, Mehldau's going to be all over the place this spring! I'm going to be hearing him and Shorter a couple days before (or after) you, David. Up here, they're going to be performing on separate days, however. Really looking forward to hearing both, live, for the first time. In anticipation, I've been spinning Mehldau's Village Vanguard disc. Nice stuff, even if I don't know exactly what to think of it yet. I kind of wish I hadn't read the liners before listening, but that's another story ...

How old is Wayne Shorter? He looks great for his age.

Edited by Late

Sorry for the late reply. A very interesting double bill. Mehldau played first with a nice set. The only piece I was disappointed with was his version of Monk's "Skippy." He played it, if I dare use the word, too "nicely." I guess I'm used to Monk's more 'percussive' style on the piano.

The Frisell was new to me as I only have his work with Elvis Costello. His first piece sounded to me like three players playing three different tunes at the same time. (you can tell I'm a big fan of 'free jazz.' :P )However, after the first song, there were some very enjoyable pieces. He played around with looping and sampling which I enjoyed, except his constant fiddling with whatever effect machine was for me a bit off-putting. I won't be rushing out to buy his stuff, but I gained an appreciation for it. Not so for the 1/8th or so of the audience who left during his performance!