Who heard them already: New Fantasy SACDs

tjobbe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans,

Not good news to me.  I'm trying to be strong and resist buying these; music I already own.  I've got the all the K2 Heritage of Jazz mini lps of the Miles New Quintet titles and want to resist buying the SACDs.  You're not helping... ;)  :P

Relax Scott ;) , the only SACD CD-layer / mini-LP K2 comparison I did was the Dolphy (the others were SACD CD-layer / XRCD), and there the CD-layer of the SACD is only marginally better - on my system.

with all due respect, i'm skeptical of these reports of "hey, i bought this new, improved version, and what do you know, it sounds much better!" as a psychologist, i'm well aware of the power of anticipation to influence our perceptions. what i'd like to hear is someone conducting a blind comparision test that removes this factor, along with controls for possible differences in output levels (a crucial element in rvg comparisons). i'm not saying these sacds might not sound better than previous remasters. but i question if all of them are improved, and how much improvement they offer. i guess i just want proof i can rely on.

with all due respect, i'm skeptical of these reports of "hey, i bought this new, improved version, and what do you know, it sounds much better!" as a psychologist, i'm well aware of the power of anticipation to influence our perceptions. what i'd like to hear is someone conducting a blind comparision test that removes this factor, along with controls for possible differences in output levels (a crucial element in rvg comparisons). i'm not saying these sacds might not sound better than previous remasters. but i question if all of them are improved, and how much improvement they offer. i guess i just want proof i can rely on.

You're absolutely right. My comparisons, though done with volume adjustments, are as subjective as can be, and they are certainly no proof that the SACDs are indeed better. Maybe I should have added that they sounded better to my (ageing) ears and on my system, and that it's always very much a matter of personal taste.

When I was comparing the various versions, however, I was hoping that my XRCDs and K2 would sound just as good as, if not better than the SACDs, so I could sell the latter to an SACD-loving friend of mine...

Edited by J.A.W.

fully agree with your comments but I believe that I ican trust both Claude's and Hans' ear so far to get some gut feeling to judge where to "upgrade" and where not.

For those records I currently do not have one versioin like the Wynton Kelly I Iwll possibly go for the SACD in any case. ( or otherway round...l I would not have bought the Wes Montgomery from last batch...)

Cheers&thx so far, Tjobbe

I believe the good doctor would diagnose the patient as suffering from monomania.

:rfr

Careful though. Remember last time what happened when _____ got word that we were talking about him behind his back...

:bwallace:

So Greg had a melt-down because SACD did not blow away the competition. :wacko: Now that's funny. I wonder if Achtung Dr Feud Calling make rounds at the Asylum.

As a side note, Greg was suspended from Steve Hoffman's Forums last week, for his posts in an SACD thread. :D

I think that this second batch of Fantasy SACDs is very encouraging, because the remastering is excellent, and is has been done by Fantasy engineers themselves (with DSD equipment leased from Sony it seems).

Although XRCDs and K2 CDs are very fine, I don't like the JVC remastering engineer's preference for a analytical sound (not psycho-analytical, just very sharp and detailed ;)). The discs I have heard from the second Fantasy batch sound warm and full, more like MFSL or DCC remasterings, which I always preferred over XRCDs.

I hope Fantasy will do more SACDs and also include some titles which have not been reissued as many times before. The Gil Evans SACD from the first batch was a very important reissue (first stereo release), also for those who don't care about SACD.

I think that this second batch of Fantasy SACDs is very encouraging, because the remastering is excellent, and is has been done by Fantasy engineers themselves (with DSD equipment leased from Sony it seems).

Although XRCDs and K2 CDs are very fine, I don't like the JVC remastering engineer's preference for a analytical sound (not psycho-analytical, just very sharp and detailed ;)). The discs I have heard from the second Fantasy batch sound warm and full, more like MFSL or DCC remasterings, which I always preferred over XRCDs.

I hope Fantasy will do more SACDs and also include some titles which have not been reissued as many times before. The Gil Evans SACD from the first batch was a very important reissue (first stereo release), also for those who don't care about SACD.

Which goes to show how different perceptions and personal tastes are... ;)

I find most MFSL and DCC remasters I've heard dull and veiled, and I much prefer (Digital) K2s and the latest XRCD remasters.

I agree with Claude on the Fantasy SACDs, though, they're warm yet very detailed and transparent. The Gil Evans SACD is absolutely wonderful.

(All "to my ears and on my system", of course ;))

Edited by J.A.W.

Claude, I don't think you'll have any problem getting what you wish for. I was told that Sony's "SACD grant" to OJC was in the form of a free loan of a DSD remastering station. They'll be able to crank out as many SACDs as they want.

BTW, the person who told me this is trying to get Sony to do the same for Blue Note/Mosaic. In fact, he was supposed to be meeting with some Sony reps this month. I think he'll push for at least one Mosaic set as in SACD hyrbid. We can only hope.

Later,

Kevin

As a side note, Greg was suspended from Steve Hoffman's Forums last week, for his posts in an SACD thread. :D

I wouldn't count that against Greg! The moderators at Steve Hoffman's board are assholes... strike that... they're more like 12 year olds. If you don't post with the attitude that "STEVE IS GOD!!!!!", then you will definitley be kicked out eventually. I have lurked there for years, mostly to get some advance info on Hoffman's works in progress but it's hard to stomach some of the fawning over "STEVE" (just scream it like a 12 year old girl at an N'Sync concert and it will come out right). The sad thing is, Steve seems to agree that this mentality is a great thing. He's like the king of an asylum of patients who all worship his shoes. I bet if he made them all Kool Aid laced with...

Later,

Kevin

The moderators at Steve Hoffman's board are assholes... strike that... they're more like 12 year olds. If you don't post with the attitude that "STEVE IS GOD!!!!!", then you will definitley be kicked out eventually. I have lurked there for years, mostly to get some advance info on Hoffman's works in progress but it's hard to stomach some of the fawning over "STEVE" (just scream it like a 12 year old girl at an N'Sync concert and it will come out right). The sad thing is, Steve seems to agree that this mentality is a great thing. He's like the king of an asylum of patients who all worship his shoes. I bet if he made them all Kool Aid laced with...

Later,

Kevin

Exactly my thoughts.

I just got this SACD:

508758.jpg

and the CD-layer turned out to be a disappointment. It sounds pretty bad, even worse than the Fantasy K2 I have (let me hasten to add: to my ears and on my system ;)). It was never one of Riverside's better recordings, but I had not expected the CD-layer of the SACD to sound as bad as this. I'm guessing the master tape has deteriorated badly over time, or this wasn't one of Fantasy's better remastering jobs. Pity.

Edit: I just realized I completely disagree with Claude on this one. Isn't it fun, all these various and diverse opinions and perceptions!

Another edit: let there be no misunderstanding: the music is essential in my opinion :tup

Final edit: I'm playing the discs on Mark Levinson-fed electrostatic speakers and a REL subwoofer.

Edited by J.A.W.

As a side note, Greg was suspended from Steve Hoffman's Forums last week, for his posts in an SACD thread.  :D

I wouldn't count that against Greg! The moderators at Steve Hoffman's board are assholes... strike that... they're more like 12 year olds. If you don't post with the attitude that "STEVE IS GOD!!!!!", then you will definitley be kicked out eventually. I have lurked there for years, mostly to get some advance info on Hoffman's works in progress but it's hard to stomach some of the fawning over "STEVE" (just scream it like a 12 year old girl at an N'Sync concert and it will come out right). The sad thing is, Steve seems to agree that this mentality is a great thing. He's like the king of an asylum of patients who all worship his shoes. I bet if he made them all Kool Aid laced with...

Later,

Kevin

I just registered there and after my second post, a "gort" contacted me and asked me to put more details in my profile. That seemed kind of weird. I have noticed that that board is policed very closely. The funny thing is, I didn't register because I worship Steve. I don't even know if I have anything mastered by him. I just thought there was some interesting discussion about audio and various audio formats. I guess since I don't worship Steve, I'll eventually get kicked off. :rolleyes:

I just registered there and after my second post, a "gort" contacted me and asked me to put more details in my profile.  That seemed kind of weird.  I have noticed that that board is policed very closely.  The funny thing is, I didn't register because I worship Steve.  I don't even know if I have anything mastered by him.  I just thought there was some interesting discussion about audio and various audio formats.  I guess since I don't worship Steve, I'll eventually get kicked off.  :rolleyes:

You probably posted something they didn't quite like, and they wanted to know more details before deciding whether or not to give you the boot in a week or so... Suppose you were one of Steve H's relatives, they daren't touch those, of course ;)

Edited by J.A.W.

• 1 year later...

I have been sort of holding back on these, but I am curious.

I do not have an SACD player.

But, have many of you compared the regular CD layer of these SACDs to the same title availabe as 20 bit K2s?

What are the sonic differences?

Does it make sense to purchase one of these to play on the CD layer only if it is similarly priced to the 20 bit K2?

Edited by skeith

Could not agree more!! All we need is another fomat based upon antidotal evidence. I read about a new format a long time ago when the record companies were just starting to try to combat illegal copying. The intent was never "improved" sound. Until I see SACD burners readily available and affordable, just call me skeptical!

Edited by Morganized