Mobley's "High Modes"

Big Wheel

The combo that I'm in at the moment wants to do this tune, so I learned it off the record (Blakey's Meet you At The Jazz Corner of the World). Can anyone double-check that I have the changes right?

Form AABA

A sections:

D-7 | % | % | % |

G-7 (C7b9) | B-7b5 Bb7 A- Ab7 | G-6* A7alt | D-7

Bridge:

A-7b5 | D7alt | G-7 | % |

B-7b5 | E7 alt | F-7 Bb7 | Em7b5 A7alt

Bar 6 in the A sections is giving me the most trouble by far. Jymie Merritt is walking down half steps starting from B natural almost every time and the progression I came up with seems to make the most sense logically, but I'm still unsure (and a little surprised that the harmony is really changing every quarter note in this bar).

*This G-6 is of course basically the same thing as E-7b5, making this just a ii-V7-I to the tonic, but I notated it this way because the bass is constantly playing a G here rather than an E.

• 4 weeks later...

next time, to see if you're really paying attention, Mike will give you the wrong changes - or say something like:

"on the second bridge play an H sharp, stand on your head, and kiss the piano player. Play the second ending three times, roll over, and hold your breath for 4 minutes. Then call Chewy."

Edited by AllenLowe

I was thinking in terms of using an available source as an 'after-the- fact' verification of one's transcription. I would imagine that this approach would have some pedagogical merit.

Now one could debate how accurate the transcriptions on the above-named site are, but I have no desire to get into such a debate.

Bertrand.