MLB 2012 Season

King Felix tosses a perfect game

He beat the Yanks a few weeks ago and was brilliant, congrats to a good pitcher.

Jim Sangrey, did you see the Yanks/Rangers last night? Very good game, scoreless into the 7th, when Ogando came on in relief and gave up a couple or dingers. Hiroki Kuroda pitched a great game, 2 hits, 2 walks no runs, no-hit for 6.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see almost every Rangers game, that's why my blood pressure's not gone down much :g. That was a good game indeed. I figured that Harrison would get jacked early after his start, but he hung in there pretty nicely, just wore out there at the end. That rough start didn't help him, that's for sure. Ogando's not quite been the same since coming back from the DL...seems like that's been the case with all our pitchers this year when they come back, been a troublesome year in that regard. Kuroda was in prime form, and the night before, we had a chance to strike early and often but fucked it up with some cranius-en-recti base running anti-skills...two pickoffs in two consecutive innings, your #1 & #2 holes...why not just call in sick, ya' know? Grrrrrr.....

This might be the Yankees' year (although I never count out the Tigers, that's one tough fighting bunch, and if they get into a set of playoffs not needing speed and defense to win, just grit, look out). They've been playing solid, consistent ball, and the injuries haven't really affected anything yet where it counts. This could be one of those the years where "veteran grit" is what it finally comes down to, you just never know until after you find out.

BTW - we got two-hit(?) by the King just a few weeks ago ourselves. The guy's a true joy to watch when he's on, even when it's your own team he's doing it to.

Mariners management better be finding some way to make him a very, very rich man if they're going to make him keep pitching for that team until he hits free agency. Anything else is...immoral.

Melky done for regular season 50 game ban

Possibly the post-season as well... http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8271981/melky-cabrera-san-francisco-giants-suspended-50-games

He will miss the final 45 games of the regular season and serve the remainder of the suspension at the start of next season or during the postseason, depending on whether the Giants make the playoffs and how far they advance.

On "bright side" (such as it is...) to this - he's copping to the offense and not offering excuses or looking for obfuscations:

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

"Forced" or not, there's always those who will look to play games and buy time. Not this guy (and in this case, his union), and for that, hey, good on him.

Figures.

Giants just can't catch a break.

"The Giants have a knack for attracting players who are: (1) prone to cheat, and (2) ignorant and/or arrogant enough to get caught. Cabrera is the third Giant to receive a 50- or 100-game suspension under baseball's new testing procedures, the most of any team. Guillermo Mota (100 games, earlier this year) and catcher Eliezer Alfonzo (50 in 2008) are the others...."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/keown-120815/melky-cabrera-positive-drug-test-proves-testing-peds-work

SS,you may laugh, but a quick 30 game winning streak, and the Indians are right back in it! :excited:

Best story I have seen on the Strasburg "situation"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8253442/shut-stephen-strasburg-just-let-pitch

They should have asked me though...early in the year...they should have just had him start the season late...Sort of like the braves did with Tim Hudson(after back surgery in the offseason) I don't think Hudson was in a game til may(just looked it up, started once in April) If Strasburg had a late spring training, then a few starts in AAA, then joined the club in early to mid May, no real concern on an innings limit, right? What would be more important, those 32 innings he threw in April, or to be pitching in big games in Sept, and October?

I was in Seattle during the time the Rays were there and had 1 game to go to. Which one did I see?

Well there was Monday, a 4-1 win for the Rays on a jack by B.J. in what was otherwise a lackluster game.

On Tuesday the Rays again took the lead but the M's scored 2 in the 9th to win!

And then on Wednesday afternoon there was the perfecto, a common practically everyday occurrence in 21st century baseball.

I of course saw…Monday!

It had to be Monday as Tuesday we had the Hendrix museum amongst other things in that part of town and we had a 6 hour train ride on Wednesday that required getting a good linner beforehand. How did I hear about Felix's game? We're walking past Pioneer Square and all of the sudden to my left is a transient masturbating in front of a cookie shop. Please, pick the door of a rug shop if you're going to do that! To my right not half a minute later I hear the phrase "…it was a perfect game." Does she mean a perfect day for baseball, sunshine, a breeze, no masturbating transients, or…And I realize it has to be a perfect game, so I check the phone, and no hit, no walks, 12 Ks, no errors. Should have realized a day game following a night and the team flying out that day and facing Felix who has been better than ever it was all lined up.

Oh well, we ended up (intentionally) with upper deck $12 promo tickets for Monday, as the current offense isn't worth paying for. Except when Felix pitches that is. They are amazingly good seats for upper deck and it was great for watching the defensive alignments. The M's looked like they were hitting easy infield practice grounders to boost little kids fielding confidence. Between batting practice and his game HR B.J. Upton looked like a young Willie Mays, until the game wore on and he looked like a kid in need of glasses.

The most entertaining part of the game? Around the 6th inning seagulls started gathering and flying around, and from the upper deck you could see them poop on the people below. It wasn't all that funny as we in danger of being bombed too, but to hear the crowd murmur and gasp, put hoods up was the most exciting part of watching a very bad baseball team.

I was in Seattle during the time the Rays were there and had 1 game to go to. Which one did I see?

Well there was Monday, a 4-1 win for the Rays on a jack by B.J. in what was otherwise a lackluster game.

And then on Wednesday afternoon there was the perfecto, a common practically everyday occurrence in 21st century baseball.

I of course saw…Monday!

It had to be Monday as Tuesday we had the Hendrix museum amongst other things in that part of town and we had a 6 hour train ride on Wednesday that required getting a good linner beforehand. How did I hear about Felix's game? We're walking past Pioneer Square and all of the sudden to my left is a transient masturbating in front of a cookie shop. Please, pick the door of a rug shop if you're going to do that! To my right not half a minute later I hear the phrase "…it was a perfect game." Does she mean a perfect day for baseball, sunshine, a breeze, no masturbating transients, or…And I realize it has to be a perfect game, so I check the phone, and no hit, no walks, 12 Ks, no errors. Should have realized a day game following a night and the team flying out that day and facing Felix who has been better than ever it was all lined up.

Oh well, we ended up (intentionally) with upper deck $12 promo tickets for Monday, as the current offense isn't worth paying for. Except when Felix pitches that is. They are amazingly good seats for upper deck and it was great for watching the defensive alignments. The M's looked like they were hitting easy infield practice grounders to boost little kids fielding confidence. Between batting practice and his game HR B.J. Upton looked like a young Willie Mays, until the game wore on and he looked like a kid in need of glasses.

The most entertaining part of the game? Around the 6th inning seagulls started gathering and flying around, and from the upper deck you could see them poop on the people below. It wasn't all that funny as we in danger of being bombed too, but to hear the crowd murmur and gasp, put hoods up was the most exciting part of watching a very bad baseball team.

precious!!!!!!!! hopefully the gulls were bombing the box seats,

Ump is really lucky Hunter wasn't wearing metal cleats

Hunter said he switched to plastic cleats for Tuesday and Wednesday games

wow!!!!!!! thanks for the info.

the obvious concern of hunter for the ump says a great deal about him. are there any managers around who would have argued that out call?

speaking of the indians, a sliding torii hunter of the angels cleats the umpire, knocking him face down, while a cleveland catcher of dubious intellect offers him the baseball.

video

I think Santana was just showing everyone he had the ball

I of course saw…Monday!

Great story, even if you didn't get to see THE game...I did imagine you somewheres gritting your teeth down to numbs saying, 3??? in the same season??? before September even??? :angry: Forgot it was your team(did you root for the Washington Generals as a child? ;) )

precious!!!!!!!! hopefully the gulls were bombing the box seats

aloc! Are we now saying if you are rich/saved up for box seats,that you didn't build that wealth, and deserve nothing short of birdpoop in your eyes? :shrug[1]:

Edited by BERIGAN

speaking of the indians, a sliding torii hunter of the angels cleats the umpire, knocking him face down, while a cleveland catcher of dubious intellect offers him the baseball.

video

I think Santana was just showing everyone he had the ball

I of course saw…Monday!

Great story, even if you didn't get to see THE game...I did imagine you somewheres gritting your teeth down to numbs saying, 3??? in the same season??? before September even??? :angry: Forgot it was your team(did you root for the Washington Generals as a child? ;) )

precious!!!!!!!! hopefully the gulls were bombing the box seats

aloc! Are we now saying if you are rich/saved up for box seats,that you didn't build that wealth, and deserve nothing short of birdpoop in your eyes? :shrug[1]:

:g:P:crazy::party::ph34r::tophat::excited::rolleyes: nah, cuz i'm jealous.

actually those front seats down most foul lines scare me to death. somebody is going to be killed with a splintered bat or line drive, not to speak of the inconvenience of bird poop. they need wire mesh around the fields.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Count me as one of those who saves up for a couple of great seat games a year...and I always sit behind the screen.

I was a to a Rangers/White Sox spring training game in Sarasota back in 'spring of 1991...went with a neighbor, bought walk-up tickets, got seats about halfway up the first base line between the base and the fence. We both had our kids with us, and they were sometimes watching the game and sometimes not. Somebody hit a screamer into the crown that banged into an empty seat that was about five feet away from where my neighbor's daughter was goofing off..sounded like it was gonna crack the seat, but it didn't. We looked at each other and both let out a soft "whoa...." and set about getting the kids to pay attention for the duration.

Ever since then, a great-seat game means behind the screen. Always. Worrying about the game is worry enough for me,

Something funny is going on, that's for sure. As for childhood AL rooting interests I went Yankee, so I'm paying for my sins now. And then some! :lol:

One other cool thing thing going on before the game was outside the stadium. There's a wall with a large photo tribute to Ichiro and Japanese families and couples kept showing up to take photos posing in front of it. It was just fascinating to see.

There were only 16,000 there and because of the promotion I think more people were in the upper decks. So the gulls average was as probably as poor as the home team. :) And not to sound like a shill but they're very good uppers thanks to modern architectural design, or at least much better than the top deck at old Busch which is the only other time I've gone for them. I like to move around and take in different views. Last time at the park the seat was $90 or $120 (I traded 4 given by a lawyer friend for 1), something obscene for 1/162nd of the season, right behind Pujols a couple of years ago. But no way I'm paying bucks to see these guys (sorry Felix).

Funny Jim should mention spring training in Sarasota as I've seen quite a few games there. The THWACK happened just like that at a class A game at Civic Stadium in Eugene. Better a seat than a jaw which I've also seen. :(

1345082690' post='1218477']

1345069947' post='1218448']

1345060889' post='1218416']

1345058215' post='1218406']

Possibly the post-season as well... http://espn.go.com/m...pended-50-games

He will miss the final 45 games of the regular season and serve the remainder of the suspension at the start of next season or during the postseason, depending on whether the Giants make the playoffs and how far they advance.

On "bright side" (such as it is...) to this - he's copping to the offense and not offering excuses or looking for obfuscations:

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

"Forced" or not, there's always those who will look to play games and buy time. Not this guy (and in this case, his union), and for that, hey, good on him.

Figures.

"The Giants have a knack for attracting players who are: (1) prone to cheat, and (2) ignorant and/or arrogant enough to get caught. Cabrera is the third Giant to receive a 50- or 100-game suspension under baseball's new testing procedures, the most of any team. Guillermo Mota (100 games, earlier this year) and catcher Eliezer Alfonzo (50 in 2008) are the others...."

http://espn.go.com/m...sting-peds-work

There's also an article about it in today's Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/sports/baseball/melky-cabrera-suspension-again-tarnishes-giants-reputation.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Figures.

There's also an article about it in today's Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/sports/baseball/melky-cabrera-suspension-again-tarnishes-giants-reputation.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Yeah, but here's the deal:

The PEDs didn't begin with the Giants for Mota, Alfonzo or Cabrera. The Giants just happened to be the team they were on when they got caught. Look at Cabrera's numbers in KC; a big spike from Atlanta. If the argument is he began doing PEDs in SF explain to me the jump in his numbers in KC. Anybody attempting to make some sort of specious connection between PEDs and the Giants organization needs to consider deep therapy. That Bonds bullshit in the NYT and ESPN sources is a decade old now...get over it.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Figures.

Yeah, but here's the deal:

The PEDs didn't begin with the Giants for Mota, Alfonzo or Cabrera. The Giants just happened to be the team they were on when they got caught. Look at Cabrera's numbers in KC; a big spike from Atlanta. If the argument is he began doing PEDs in SF explain to me the jump in his numbers in KC. Anybody attempting to make some sort of specious connection between PEDs and the Giants organization needs to consider deep therapy. That Bonds bullshit in the NYT and ESPN sources is a decade old now...get over it.

Not to argue any of the points you've made.

Perhaps the Giants have simply hired 3 of the dumbest MF'ers in MLB in recent times.

Are you still a Bonds PED denier?

Heard the former multi-time all star Dale Murphy do an interview recently; suggested that teams with players caught like Melky should be penalized as well as the players, and thought that 1st time violators should get a 162 game suspension.

It makes sense; teams do not have a real stake in policing, teaching and discouraging cheaters to go along with the players union involved in the current testing. Melky rolled the dice and the Giants are in 1st place with 45 games to play in the regular season, with a guy who has performed so way ahead of any other season in his major league tenure, to be almost unbelievable compared to any other he's had. Now everyone knows why...

Perhaps the team caught with a cheater gets knocked 20 games in the standings, or is dropped in the standings.

I think Dale Murphy is onto something, suggesting a team punishment to go along with player punishment.

First, Cabrera performed over his head in KC before he came to the Giants. This would clearly indicate the PEDs didn't start with the Giants.

Second, the Giants' success is largely based upon the pitching and defensive efforts of the team, not one guy's bat.

Third, others have been hitting as well....Cabrera is on a team, not playing by himself.

Lastly, Bonds was never convicted of anything beyond a ticky-tack obstruction charge. Whether or not he used PEDs has nothing at all to do with making a player a HR hitter. Those are the facts, not a defense of anything or anyone. Deal with it. It is over and done. Nearly a decade ago. Move on. I simply do not care anymore. Only a fool would keep bringing it up, uh...Mike.

Taking 20 games from a team is just dumb. My advice? Put down the hater-aid, stay away from the statistics, sports gossip columns and TV talking heads. Watch the game once. Learn what the game is really about.

Then leave me out of it.

Edited by GoodSpeak

First, Cabrera performed over his head in KC before he came to the Giants. This would clearly indicate the PEDs didn't start with the Giants.

Second, the Giants' success is largely based upon the pitching and defensive efforts of the team, not one guy's bat.

Third, others have been hitting as well....Cabrera is on a team, not playing by himself.

Lastly, Bonds was never convicted of anything beyond a ticky-tack obstruction charge. Whether or not he used PEDs has nothing at all to do with hitting HRs. Those are the facts, not a defense of anything or anyone. Deal with it. It is over and done. Nearly a decade ago. Move on. Only a fool would keep bringing it up, uh...Mike.

No peronal attacks please....where's the moderators around here?

Giants are 27th in MLB in fielding at the moment out of 30 teams, and were last much of the first half, and are currently 5th in the NL in pitching.

Are you implying that Melky's .350+ average most of this season had little to do with being as high in the standings as they have been?

roids_canseco.jpg

bondsbeforeandaftersteroids.jpg

mark_mcgwiremilk.jpg

:blink: Absolutely no connection to PED & home run hitting whatsoever :crazy:

Edited by Mike Schwartz

One more....absolute proof that PED's have nothing to do with a line drive hitting guy with decent power who developed himself into the only player in basball history to have three 60+ HR seasons....and was caught using a corked bat to boot, but it was only batting practice :ph34r:

The 5 years prior to the big race with Mark McGuire chasing Roger Maris' historic & legit record 61 HR's that stood for close to 4 decades, he hit a very respectable 170 home runs and had 501 RBI.

The next 5 *enhanced* years (starting with the Maris chase year with his cheating friend Mark McGuire) he hits 292 HR and has 705 RBI

Drum roll please..... ( it may be water under the bridge to you, but these cheating POS need to be remembered for what they did plain & simple.

sammy-sosa-before-after_steroids.jpg

Edited by Mike Schwartz